• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Green Army Paint

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

A buddy of mine and I are looking into painting our rigs a matte army green. we are looking to make them look better while covering them with something that will stand up to the occasional scrape of a branch and the constant splatter of mud =D we're hoping to spend about $500 tops each so i'd like to know if anyone knows where i could get some inexpensive utility paint like this to cover 2 jeeps, and how much you think i'll need. i've never painted a whole vehicle before, but i'm guessing it will take at least a galon each? thanks for the help.

jon

Try these guys...

http://www.armyjeepparts.com/order_page/paint_1.htm

They source from Gillespie coatings, and that stuff's supposed to be pretty good. The prices aren't bad - I'm probably going to order from them when I repaint my 88...

I don't know offhand how much you'd need - but you could probably find out if you ask nicely at a local body shop. When you find out, please let the rest of us know!

5-90

Might also post this in the Paint and body forum too. Ive been told it takes about 10 cans of spray paint to do an MJ, so that should be fairly close to how much a XJ would take.

another OD jeep...

::sigh::

how boring....

Ah - gimme a break! I just haven't decided to go with OG507, current issue OD, full woodland, or "chocolate chip" desert. Probably won't decide until I finally order paint (or I'll do something really silly - like a mock "tie dye..."

5-90

XJ_ranger said:
another OD jeep...

::sigh::

how boring....

5-90 said:
Ah - gimme a break! I just haven't decided to go with OG507, current issue OD, full woodland, or "chocolate chip" desert. Probably won't decide until I finally order paint (or I'll do something really silly - like a mock "tie dye..."

5-90

canyonhd.jpg

these are the cool colors for Jeeps - everyone knows that....

if you want any help 5-90 - PM me and ill be down some weeked...

thanks for all the help guys...yeah where i'm from i don't see to many jeeps this color...actually i don't see many jeeps like mine at all. but also where i'm from i can drive to pick up the paint that one of you linked to instead of paying 39.00 a galon to ship it! thanks again for the link...oh and my friend has painted cars before and says it will probably take a galon and a half or so to cover a jeep

I appreciate the offer, but it's going to be a couple of whiles. I've got to get my 89 Limited done first - and since I'm probably going to be in school for 10-14 hours/day come September (about the same time I'm starting the restomod...) it's going to be a bit. I figure I'll be starting on my 88 about SEP2006, at the earliest.

Oh - pink just ain't gonna happen. My 89 Limited is probably going to end up cobalt or royal blue (that's what she wants - it's maroon now,) Beck is going to end up OG507, OD, or camo (haven't decided, and I've got time - maybe marine camo - blues and greens?) and the 87 will probably end up pearl charcoal grey when I finally do it. Don't know what colour I'll do the MJ - if I get it - but it would be a restomod candiate for certain!

The 89 (the other one I've got) may stay white, it may not. Haven't decided yet, but it will get restomodded eventually as well...

Something tells me I'm going to get real good at paint... At lest I know how to do prep work!

5-90

XJ_ranger said:
if you want any help 5-90 - PM me and ill be down some weeked...

5-90, there's a Texas distributor for Gillespie...sure to save you a few dollars vs ordering from AJP. Dont remember the vendors name though.

Stay away from Aervoe, it'll chalk out on ya.

muddyjp, Reading is about 1.5hrs from Bristol, pick up your paint and save the Haz-Mat and UPS fees.

John B said:
Stay away from Aervoe, it'll chalk out on ya.

The Jeep I referred to above has looked great for 4 1/2 years now, never being in a garage. Being an epoxy paint, I don't see how it would "chalk out" any time soon. It's hard as nails.

Were you referring to the epoxy?

muddygp said:
thanks for all the help guys...yeah where i'm from i don't see to many jeeps this color...actually i don't see many jeeps like mine at all. but also where i'm from i can drive to pick up the paint that one of you linked to instead of paying 39.00 a galon to ship it! thanks again for the link...oh and my friend has painted cars before and says it will probably take a galon and a half or so to cover a jeep

it should only take 3/4 of a gallon to cover

specialy if it is a dark finish

if you know how to paint well it will be less paint than that

I painted our communal Chev. push truck (for the races). Went to the local Home Depot and had them mix the paint on there computerized paint mixer. Army Green Satin (half flat), metal window trim paint. Did the whole truck for $40-50, when I ran out, mixing a match was a snap, with the mix code numbers stuck on the lid. I even had the guy mix it with extra tint, so it covered really well. The only reason I can see for using an automotive paint, would be finish and shine, which really isn´t a factor with flat or half flat paint.
Used that paint, because there is a local ordinance against automotive painting. Bigger than heck, one of the Grandma´s around here called the Police. Showed them the can, that which said window trim paint, not much they could do about my painting, unless they were gonna stop all home repairs around here. Paints been on the truck for 7-8 years now, still looks good.
The paint is pretty much good old fashioned enamel, the older it gets, the harder it gets. Shine not being a factor, it worked just fine and was cheap.

still have the color numbers and or brand(s) of paint used? does it look like the above picture of the 2 dr chero at all? i'd like something about that dark. thanks for the info

The paint was the store brand (labeled as trim paint for wood or metal), I supplied a sample of the color, they scanned it and mixed a half pint or so for a trial. The finished paint was OD green, not quit as flat as matt, but definitely not shiny. They called it a satin finish.
Flat paint is hard to get mud stains out of, I've made that mistake. The flat also shows up scratches pretty well. The half flat or satin works better.
Have them mix you a small sample and try it out on a piece of scrap or something.
I was actually surprised it held up so good and was relatively cheap.

Thanks! I prepped with my random orbital sander and some 120 grit. sanded other rough spots with 100 and 220 grit by hand to scuff the clear coat and get rid of spots where the clear was freckling/peeling. i sprayed it with my sharpe pro spray gun and a craftsman 110 galon (total with 2 tanks) setup regulated at 40 psi. i'm real happy with how it turned out. i put on 3 light coats and then a 4th heavier coat...no primer. take it easy man

Back