• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help, Has anyone out there upgraded their Trans Oil Cooler?

Culinary_Hooligan

NAXJA Forum User
I've come to a point where I have to replace my radiator (going with the 3core GDI), and was thinking about replacing my tranny oil cooler, and engine oil cooler. any suggestions? OE Replacement? Is there an upgrade out there I can do?

also, has anyone upgraded their fan system? (aside from the taurus electric, not really up to fooling with that, not enough experience)

any imput will be much appreciated.

Rob

searched, didnt find the answer I am needing.......

It appears that I have two other coolers (besides my radiator) What are these? a small cooler about 12 inches long, and about 6 inches high, and a cooler sandwhiched between the small cooler and the radiator.

I bought i B&M tranny coller from autozone for around $40-$50. Came with all hoses needed, but i needed a couple of different fititng because i decided to completely bypass the radiater. Now when im wheeling my Engine temp never gets too high, dont know about my tranny since i dont have a temp guage, but its still there!

scoobyxj said:
Search! Infact this was just talked about a few days ago IIRC.

i dig the MWC logo icon...

tiggiy!

sure you can re-size and use my creation!
img005.jpg

Culinary_Hooligan said:
searched, didnt find the answer I am needing.......

It appears that I have two other coolers (besides my radiator) What are these? a small cooler about 12 inches long, and about 6 inches high, and a cooler sandwhiched between the small cooler and the radiator.
That would be the OEM trans cooler.They were used on the Tow Package option.Do a search on GDI,you may not like what you read!

Culinary_Hooligan said:
How big is the other cooler? The one sandwiched between the small cooler and the radiator.

RCP Phx said:
Do a search on GDI,you may not like what you read!
Yep, I'm not very impressed with my GDI. Fits good, but the filler neck wasn't straight, and kind of goes uphill to get into the radiator tank. Plus I'm still not cooling much better than the stock.

I have put a BMG trans cooler on mine. And that had been great, so far as I can tell. I don't have a temp gauge on the trans yet so I couldn't tell you how much it cools the trans, but it has to better than how mine was stock.

Daryl

Last edited:
Went the easy route and got the factory unit. No temp guage either, running 31's w/3.55's, trannys' gotta be working harder.

Hope someday I'll install the 4.10's I bought three years ago :gag:

Btw, been running Mobil 1 tranny fluid since 3k, and @ 104k and two filter changes later, shifts like new.

Oh yeah, same weird filler neck flaw on GDI, plan to switch out before the summers' over when I install a NAPA water pump. First GDI I had to send back because of metal clanging around inside, but at about 45k no problems so far, knock wood...

Last edited:
JEONLYEP said:
How big is the other cooler? The one sandwiched between the small cooler and the radiator.

I realised later that it was the A/C Condenser. I'm considering removing it, since my AC Compressor is dead....
I do what to replace my tranny cooler (stocker) with a larger B&M unit..

Also, do any of the flex-a-lite, flex fans, fit as a replacement for the stocker clutch fan?

DCP01169.JPG

That's under the nose, looking up. The big black bar is the swaybar, the smaller angled one is my steering box brace. The clean black hose goes to the OEM tranny cooler. The dirty black hose is the return line to the tranny from the cooler. Cut both those hoses in the middle. The OEM cooler is held on by two screws behind the grille.

100_0747.JPG

To do all this, you'll want/need to remove the whole front clip. It's really not that hard. You can see my old OEM cooler peaking out from behind the winch.

Once you've removed the front clip, cut the soft lines, and unbolted the stock cooler, follow this to put in the new B&M:

http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler/index.asp

Culinary_Hooligan said:
I realised later that it was the A/C Condenser. I'm considering removing it, since my AC Compressor is dead....
I do what to replace my tranny cooler (stocker) with a larger B&M unit..

Also, do any of the flex-a-lite, flex fans, fit as a replacement for the stocker clutch fan?

If you are not going to fix the A/C then deffinately remove the cooler. It's blocking a ton of air. Plus you'll have room for as many other coolers as you'd like, once it's out of the way. I went to auto zone and bought the biggest tranny cooler they had 2 fittings to run it inline with the stock on in the radiator and mounted it behind the grill in front of the A/C radiator.
You could get two and use one for the tranny and one for the oil.

All the imput that has been given by you guys is great. I couldnt appreciate it more.... THANK YOU.....

With that being said, I've made some decisions. Since the air doesnt work very well, and when I turn the air on the belt starts screaming like banshee, and it's about 300+ dollars for a new A/C compressor, the condensers got to go. removal of the condenser seem straight foward. But what I need to know, is about the compressor, How do I purge the system of the remaining refrigerant (even though I'm no greenie, I am still envrionmentally conscious) without purging it into the atmosphere? Also, how do I remove the compressor in general. I know a new belt would be needed. anyone have part #'s for the new belt? What problems may I experience... I'm also going to put some kind of screen behind the grill to protect the radiator from road debris and bugs, somekind of steel mesh that will not restrict airflow...

Last edited:
Back