• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

21 to 23 spline AW4 (update)

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped my 88 21 spline trans for a 91 23 spline trans. I searched on here and posted the question of was this a direct swap. Never really got an answer from someone who had done it so I figured I'd let anyone know who wondered.
It is a direct swap , except the trans cooler lines. On an early AW4 they "clip" into the trans, an the later model they are threaded. It is a metric thread , I got fittings and flexible trans cooler hose at Parker/Cross fittings here in town. Not a big deal to correct, but just thought I'd throw it out there for those interested in doing this swap.
Oh, and the reason I swapped was to put in a 23 spline Atlas...if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.. one of the best mods so far.

So does that mean I can have my NP 231 now? :D Glad to see that it worked out for ya.

Any other issues yet with the tranny swap or atlas? How does run offroad?

AARON

BIGWOODY said:
3.8 / 5.13/ 39"krawlers

Look out VROC...here comes the new and improved MJ :wave:

Being able to front dig is huge.

Are you going to run any other comps?

Hamy.

BIGWOODY said:
It is a direct swap , except the trans cooler lines. On an early AW4 they "clip" into the trans, an the later model they are threaded.

Interesting. My '95 has QD (fuel line type) fittings on both end of the cooler lines. They must have switched back at some point.

must've been whatever Jeep swept up off the floor that day...I've found several things that are different on the same year XJ, so I guess just check the tranny first...

BIGWOODY said:
I swapped my 88 21 spline trans for a 91 23 spline trans. I searched on here and posted the question of was this a direct swap. Never really got an answer from someone who had done it so I figured I'd let anyone know who wondered.
It is a direct swap , except the trans cooler lines. On an early AW4 they "clip" into the trans, an the later model they are threaded. It is a metric thread , I got fittings and flexible trans cooler hose at Parker/Cross fittings here in town. Not a big deal to correct, but just thought I'd throw it out there for those interested in doing this swap.
Oh, and the reason I swapped was to put in a 23 spline Atlas...if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.. one of the best mods so far.
Good to know.
Did anything change as far as the wiring? Is it shifting ok?

BIGWOODY said:
It is a direct swap , except the trans cooler lines. On an early AW4 they "clip" into the trans, an the later model they are threaded.

Are you sure your not mixing up the early and late terminology here? Early is an older car and late is a newer car.

I doubt that a manufacturer would switch back to an older, slower, more expensive way to assemble a car.

My 96 has the quick connect connections.

I swapped a '95 AW4 23spline trans into my '90. All wiring and connections were the same and worked great. The only thing I had to was put a 23spline input gear into my NP231 and use the '90 CPS.

Sero said:
Are you sure your not mixing up the early and late terminology here? Early is an older car and late is a newer car.

I doubt that a manufacturer would switch back to an older, slower, more expensive way to assemble a car.

My 96 has the quick connect connections.

Uhhh my original trans was a 21 spline aw4 from an 88MJ....the one I installed is from a 91XJ 23 spline ,the cooler lines were threaded into the trans where as the 21 spline 88 model was the clip type.....how else would you like me to put it? If you have worked on more than one or two Jeep products you would know they change stuff at will and in the middle of productions years.
I know Volvos that run an AW4 the cooler lines are threaded also.
All early XJs were 21 spline EARLY = OLDER CAR
All 91-up were 23 spline in the 4.0 models LATE=NEWER

I hope this helps, I've dumbed it down as much as possible...

Wow....sorry I offended you....that was not my intentions.

I was merely trying to help out and point out that you may have made a simple wording mistake, something anybody can do. A response such as " no I worded that correctly" would be sufficient.

And for the record, I've been fixing cars for a living for the past 15 years, 9 at a Volvo dealership, so yes I know a few things thank you.

Sero said:
Wow....sorry I offended you....that was not my intentions.

I was merely trying to help out and point out that you may have made a simple wording mistake, something anybody can do. A response such as " no I worded that correctly" would be sufficient.

And for the record, I've been fixing cars for a living for the past 15 years, 9 at a Volvo dealership, so yes I know a few things thank you.

Sorry, late night and too many beers invovled. My bad for sounding like a dick.

fizassist said:
Interesting. My '95 has QD (fuel line type) fittings on both end of the cooler lines. They must have switched back at some point.

How do you disconnect these fittings? Do you push those tabs together or apart?

Back