• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for some advise, heads up, etc...

GGR

NAXJA Forum User
I have a chance to buy a 87 Wagoneer w/dana 44's, np231, straight6
175K original miles. For $1,000 (from a buddy)

My quandry is as follows:
I already have a 91 cherokee Limited w/np242 and 35rear/30front
What I want to do is buy the Waggy to swap the axles and re sale the waggy for $1,000 with the 30/35 axles.

Will I need to do anything special to the axles (44's) to make everything smooth? The waggy drives very good and works well in 4WD.
From what I've read it should be a straightforward swap, I just dont want to get in over my head, but I know it would be better for me to have the 44's.

So any help or advise on the subject is welcomed and appreciated.

Thank You

This other one has 44's on BOTH ends or just the rear ?

If the gear ratios are a match between both jeeps than I would only swap in the rear d44. It is not worth it to swap out the d30 for d30 there is nothing to gain. If you have enough money to get the wagoneer for only a rear axle swap than I would recomend going with an explorer 8.8. If you plan on doing the axle swap yourself and don't have the tools, torch, and welder than I would go the wagoneer route. If you have all the tools or access to them than I would spend the money on the 8.8. I have access to these tools so I would go the 8.8 route in this situation. The 8.8 is 120% better than the d35 and I would say about 65% better than the d44. Choice is yours. Hope This helps out on the decision.

Kim.

Back