• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Headliner Adhesive Question (I searched)

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm just about to do the headliner on my 93' 2 door Sport, and I was wondering if the 3M 77 adhesive will work down here in humid-as-heck S.E Florida.... I've heard a few rumours that this stuff doesn't do too well in high humidity, and even though I have my A/C on pretty much all the time, on a hot day, the interior gets like an oven - does anyone have some other ideas or know of some alternatives that would work in my application ?

Finally, does anyone know of any fabric store that would stock fabric that has been vulcanised with an insulating rubber on one side of it ? FWIW, even though primarily I want to get the headliner adhered to the roof, I'd still like to install some type of insulation to keep vibration and noise down a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Quarterwave

I've been using some 3M Super Trim Adhesive (yellow) N. 08090 to install insulation all through the interior of my XJ and it's been holding up great. The insulation is 1/2 thick with aluminum on one side and has some weight to it, but the adhesive has been holding it fine. I put it above the headliner and didn't get around to reinstalling the headliner for a few hours but it held the stuff up fine. Now the headliner is back in, so I can't tell you how well it will hold in the long run, but I can say that I got it because it was recommended by my body shop guy since it's what he uses on cars with cloth tops to hold the cloth on. HTH!

personaly - i am not a fun of Stupid 77

i helped a buddy put a headliner back into an XJ (that he might give to me in a few days) and we didnt use any adheasive...
the sound bar, trim on the sides, dome light, rear cargo light and sunroof border held it very well IMO...

Ranger- Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was refering to using the adhesive to hold new fabric onto the old headliner panel, not holding the panel itself up.

I had to replace the headliner in my 1987 cherokee and I got all my stuff from a web site on the internet and it worked great, looks completely professional. You need to take the hole headliner piece out, you can't just rip the fabric off. Get a scrub brush and scrub the old deteriorated foam of the headliner board. Then spray it in sections and push it on. Here's the web site, and if you go with them buy 2 can's of adhesive spray, the good stuff.
http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/

Hi guys,

Just a quick update to advise that it's all done. Only took a few hours to do, but unfortunately, I didn't quite get the material that I wanted (no local stores carried the right color or type of fabric), but I got a good deal, used some 3M No. 08088 adhesive, and it looks a lot better than what it was before.

One word of advice FWEIW, the backing board is fragile, so you need to exercise caution when taking it out. It can be done by 1 person (I did mine by myself), but just make sure that it's well supported, b/c it doesn't really flex too much.

Thanks again guys for yr help.

Back