• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing NEW distributor...

red91

NAXJA Forum User
other than making sure it goes in the same way the old one came out...anything i should KNOW ??

IIRC it can only go in 1 of 2 ways...or am I wrong again?

I've narrowed my problem down to either it, due to the pick up coil going bad...or my CPS.

The cherokee guru at my local dealership (he has a really built 92 he's owned scince new and had the same problem as you and me) says its not the coil as they die and stay dead 99% of the time. He is almost positive its the cps or the connector for it. I should have my jeep back fixed in a couple hours from the dealer I'll let you know what happend..................

LostintheWoods said:
The cherokee guru at my local dealership (he has a really built 92 he's owned scince new and had the same problem as you and me) says its not the coil as they die and stay dead 99% of the time. He is almost positive its the cps or the connector for it. I should have my jeep back fixed in a couple hours from the dealer I'll let you know what happend..................

cool.

I've replaced 2 distributors now. Just make sure that the new distributor goes into the same orientation as the old one. I marked the old housing with a Sharpie(tm) to show where the rotor pointed, and marked the same spot on the new one. Made it easy to see if I was right on, or one tooth off on the gear.

BTW, on the coil.... my 94 had a failing coil. The engine ran fine, but was giving off a lot of RF interference. The garage door opener almost wouldn't work when the engine was running, and FM radio was loaded with static.

ChiXJeff said:
I've replaced 2 distributors now. Just make sure that the new distributor goes into the same orientation as the old one. I marked the old housing with a Sharpie(tm) to show where the rotor pointed, and marked the same spot on the new one. Made it easy to see if I was right on, or one tooth off on the gear.

BTW, on the coil.... my 94 had a failing coil. The engine ran fine, but was giving off a lot of RF interference. The garage door opener almost wouldn't work when the engine was running, and FM radio was loaded with static.

I take it the common cause was the pick up coil ??

I should have been more clear. My distributor was replaced due to worn out bushings. I replaced a friend's due to shear off bolts for the distributor cap.

Back