• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut-off wheel cauught on fire!

Jeepkid8037

NAXJA Forum User
So i am cutting through 1.4" steel with my cutoff wheel "i knw its thick but its the only thing i have to cut it...." It starts to smoke and then just explodes into flames. Its a craftsman. Is there a better brand out there or do i need a new technique for cutting 1/4" plate?

The technique is to not hold it exactly in the same place until it melts. Keep it moving. If it starts to smoke, then stop and let it cool. Simple, huh???

Jeepkid8037 said:
So i am cutting through 1.4" steel with my cutoff wheel "i knw its thick but its the only thing i have to cut it...." It starts to smoke and then just explodes into flames. Its a craftsman. Is there a better brand out there or do i need a new technique for cutting 1/4" plate?

Ever try oil? :D seriously though that's weird. i have a cheap air cutoff tool and i've been cutting alot of 1/4" recently and had no problems.

wait is this air or electric? if it's electric you have to be careful how you hold it so you don't block the cooling vents. You need to let them cool every once in a while too. I learned that a while ago when i melted the bearings in a cheap grinder.

Is it still under warranty? even if it's not i would complain to sombody and show them the piece and see if they will replace it.

Im assuming it was the TOOL not the disc right?

Dingo

Jeepkid8037 said:
So i am cutting through 1.4" steel with my cutoff wheel "i knw its thick but its the only thing i have to cut it...." It starts to smoke and then just explodes into flames. Its a craftsman.

That's COOL!
I'll have to get some Craftsman.

Yeah its electric:( I do have an air comperssor so im thinking about just getting a cutoff wheel that runs off of that. Are they more powerful?

Jeepkid8037 said:
Yeah its electric:( I do have an air comperssor so im thinking about just getting a cutoff wheel that runs off of that. Are they more powerful?

They require quite a bit of air... what is the CFM rating of your compressor? Mine is undersized and when using the cutoff tool, body saw or die grinder it runs almost continuously to keep up. Definitely on my list of upgrades. But to answer your question, air tools rule!

Jeepkid8037 said:

Get a good diamond cutoff wheel, they cut so cool you can hold the piece in your hand right after the cut.

langer1 said:
Get a good diamond cutoff wheel, they cut so cool you can hold the piece in your hand right after the cut.

Sears ended up replacing it for free. Where could i get these diamond cutoff wheels? I have been using some 6 1/2" cutoff wheels from ace.

Back