• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To those running narrowed D60 rears?

xj4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
I’ve been told I can’t narrow a rear D60 on an XJ to the stock 60.5 width running disc brakes. The narrowest I can go without clearance issues is;

SF D60 to 63.5
FF D60 to 65.5

The above assumes a spring leaf pack width no wider then 2.5 inches.

This seems odd to me. I could have sworn there were several guys running narrowed (I.E. under 63.5) D60's on XJ's?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this,
Kent :)

xj4fun said:
Hi Guys,
I’ve been told I can’t narrow a rear D60 on an XJ to the stock 60.5 width running disc brakes. The narrowest I can go without clearance issues is;

SF D60 to 63.5
FF D60 to 65.5

The above assumes a spring leaf pack width no wider then 2.5 inches.

This seems odd to me. I could have sworn there were several guys running narrowed (I.E. under 63.5) D60's on XJ's?

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this,
Kent :)

You've been lied to.

CRASH

HP60 rear, stock width, leaf springs, disc brakes. Know plenty of others with similar setups.

Rumors.......always pop up somewhere. NAXJA, the anti-rumor remedy. :)

xjj33p3r said:
Does dynatrac supply custom width d60s and prorock 60s? Who else does custom axles like them?

Yes......that's ALL Dynatrac does.....custom 60's. Call and ask them about a D44 or a 9" and you don't get much of a response.

Let your fingers do the walking...browse through a 4x mag or do a seach on the web and you'll come up with all kinds of places that build custom axles.

By the way, has anyone heard of a dynatrac axle snapping or breaking in any way? I've tried looking around to see if it's happened, but nothing's come up

CRASH said:
You've been lied to.

CRASH

X2

D60 Warn 35 spl. FF kit, Caddy disc, 60.5" trackwidth no clearance problems at all.

Dingo

BrettM said:
do some rockcrawling out west and you will have your answer.

Yeah just try to run most of the trails up here in washington, they were all cut by cj-2's and 3's a stock XJ doesn't fit let alone a wider one.

Dingo

yeah brett just mall crawls and web wheels ;)

Why not find a XJ 44 and do the 35 spline set up offered by several companies. If your not going bigger than 37s it's the way to go. Your going to loose a lot of clearance with a 60 not to mention the added weight gain. And your going to get top heavy with that much lift and narrow axles.

You don't even have to go out west. Up here we have ATV trails turned into jeep trails...talk about tight fit :laugh3:

If I could afford it I would be getting narrowed 60's, but that's not even close to my budget. I'm stuck with my open 27-spline 8.25 and 3.55's.

GREEN XJ said:
Why narrow, wider is better plus you can run bigger meats.

bluebeast said:
Your going to loose a lot of clearance with a 60 not to mention the added weight gain. And your going to get top heavy with that much lift and narrow axles.

C'mon guys, where do you come up with this stuff??

Wider is better? That logic has come and gone a number of years ago, and it certainly has nothing to do with being able to run bigger meats. How about 37's on an XJ, is that big enough.....on stock width axles?

You don't loose clearance with custom D60's like a Tera60R, a RockJock, or a Prorock60, only with junkyard D60's (full width :rolleyes: ). And top heavy with a tall lift and narrow (stock width) axles? I thought less backspacing and a little wider rim and a wider tire was all that was needed to compensate adequately for a taller lift height......now we need wider axles too?

:rolleyes:

I'm planning on running 39.5 on 1-tons, plus if the trail if narrow you make it wider w/ the skinny pedal on the right, that how we do it down here in Alabama.

GREEN XJ said:
I'm planning on running 39.5 on 1-tons, plus if the trail if narrow you make it wider w/ the skinny pedal on the right, that how we do it down here in Alabama.

Out here in the west, we kind of like our trails to stay intact so they're just as challenging for the next guys through. Technical rockcrawling we call it, where picking your line and manuevering to fit your rig through a tight section of trail is as challenging and important a part of the experience as getting the traction that's needed to make the obstacle.

BTW, I always thought that you could get a bigger tire to work if it still sort of fit inside the wheel well.......

Back