• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REVIEW: Crown Auto Valve Cover Pics- The one from Tellico, and Quadratec

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Whelp after figureing out that my 93 valve cover would not fit the new 97 block for the stroker, and not wanting to spend the time at a junk yard to get one only to have to clean and paint it again... I took the easy way out and got the Aluminum valve cover from Tellico http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/145_367/products_id/22367

The Crown Auto Part # is 53020323, and the cover comes in Black, Red or Mustard Yellow. I opted for Black. Here are some pics, and I guess a brief review in case anyone else had the questions that I had, and jumped out in a limb to figure out, now you won't have to.

Spec'd out for a 96-01 BTW, Dunno how well it would fit for earlier years, although they claim it will "with modification"

We'll start with the main cover:

As you can see it's pretty, very pretty, and has the correct studs for the Throttle Body linkage. The finish is very nice, not peelable, should last a long time it seems. How bout the inside?

As you can see it DOES have the baffles already installed for the PCV, and CCV, which was one of my concerns, since that was one of the reasons that my 93 would not fit the 97 block, the baffles that extend down, hit the lifters. Close up of baffle:

Hopefully those cheap ass bolts will get splashed with enough oil not to rust. Here you can see the spacing of the baffles seem adequite:

Here is what else you get with it; Pretty Stainless Cap Screws, a nice gasket, it is the OEM one, part # 53020758AG

Cap Screws:

So what's the bad part you ask? Well let me tell you....It's this GHETTO ass oil cap, which is simply horrid:

As you can see it rivals the idiocy of the D35 plastic plug, but even worse than that, IT DOES NOT GO IN THE HOLE!!

See the ridge is well above were it should be, and that is after I manhandled it and placed the cap in boiling water to try and soften it up. I'll have to find another way to seal this puppy, not sure what I can do, maybe take the Dremel to the side of the plug until it actually goes in the hole?

Anyway, overall, I like it, minus the oil cap of course. For $69, and the only labor is picking up a phone, I'll take it. Oh, upon a test fit on the 97 block, it lined up perfect.

Tellico had it to me in 3 days, so I would stick with them, and at $69, they were the best price as well. It can also be found on Quadratec, 4WD, Rubicon 4x4 Supply, and Ebay, but they were all more than Tellico, especially 4WD and Quadratec, charging $100...basically asking you to bend over and offering no lube.

Enjoy.

Todd

Last edited:
There are a whole bunch of aftermarket caps out there. Thats the same cap as I had on my 82 S10's 2.8L. They tend to rot after a while and fall apart dropping rubber bits into the engine. Unfortunately I guess the old half turn caps don't seal well enough for emissions or something.

Great review, thanks.

It's too bad you couldn't get the cover with the jeep logo or something other than 4.0L. Seeing as you arestroked.

Hey, nit-picky, I know. :D

r@m

Root Moose said:
Great review, thanks.

It's too bad you couldn't get the cover with the jeep logo or something other than 4.0L. Seeing as you arestroked.

Hey, nit-picky, I know. :D

r@m

I had the same thoughts, but the Hesco 4.6 or 4.7 cover was like $220, so screw that, I can deal with the 4.0 I suppose. I'm going to take the cover in to Autozone and try to find a plug that will fit correctly. The stock cap will not becuase of the ears. Oh well.

NHxj4x4 said:
I had the same thoughts, but the Hesco 4.6 or 4.7 cover was like $220, so screw that, I can deal with the 4.0 I suppose. I'm going to take the cover in to Autozone and try to find a plug that will fit correctly. The stock cap will not becuase of the ears. Oh well.

I was being flippant more than anything. :)

What about modifying it to use a OEM cap? Can you notch the hole with a dremel/die tool or something to get the OEM cap to work?

JAT

r@m

Root Moose said:
I was being flippant more than anything. :)

What about modifying it to use a OEM cap? Can you notch the hole with a dremel/die tool or something to get the OEM cap to work?

JAT

r@m

I suppose I could get a 87-90 cap to work, HO caps won't work becuase the polished ribs on the top of the VC would prevent it going down, the width of the cap would be too great. I was thinking, maybe one of those expanding plugs, you know the type that has the bolt in the middle, and you tighten it to widen the plug. I bet that would work well, and I'd never have to worry about it getting stuck. Think I'll try that.

Any updates on the cap? I just replaced the valve cover on my dad's 4.0 HO with the Crown you reviewed here. His cap doesn't fit at all and it's leaking oil where the cap fails to seal.

Wondering if anyone has found a decent cap for this yet. I'm getting ready to order one of these and I'm trying to get all the parts I want/need lined out.

I've had my valve cover in now for a year and with the cheesy plastic cap it came with. Works fine with no leaks around the cap. The gasket that comes with that cover is top notch. I fixed a leak issue with this set up that my stock cover and other style gaskets did little to stop.

MisterFubar said:
Wondering if anyone has found a decent cap for this yet. I'm getting ready to order one of these and I'm trying to get all the parts I want/need lined out.

We went to the junkyard and got a cap off a 93 Wrangler. I cut tabes into the valve cover and it worked great. No leaks and it seals water tight. He's had the truck in up to the top of the snorkel just before the air inl;et.

Used this same Valve cover for my '96 stroker. I went with a valve cap from autozone Part Number: 2067 $8.99 (GM cap) works great. Don't use the stock one that came with it. mine broke and then melted. Just my .02

Last edited:
wetdoggy said:
Used this same Valve cover for my '96 stroker. I went with a valve cap from autozone Part Number: 2067 $8.99 (GM cap) works great. Don't use the stock one that came with it. mine broke and then melted. Just my .02

Good deal, I'll probably just take the cover into the store with me and find a cap I like and modify it to work.

Back