• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decided to go with rockkrawler longarms

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
well I decided to give the rockkrawler longarms a try. I know I know but it seems everything has been redone so we will see. For those that havn't seen me wheel it will be tested hard. I will be ordering it the middle of next month and will see what needs to be beefed up if anything when it arrives.
DIG IT!

I received my long arms
They look good compared to the first gen arms
I can't wait till I get my stiffners
then it will all come together

I just finished installing the RK long arm upgrade along with a Full Width swap. I must say I'm very impressed with how it rides and handles on and offroad!! I tested it out last weekend and it did very well(wish I could say the same for the D44 shaft I broke)

And yes, the new RK stuff is miles ahead of the old stuff!!

The pictures from my whole project can be found a the link below! The normal RK install will look diffrent from mine, i mounted the upper arm on the passanger side, rather then the drivers side(my axle was set up to only run a passanger side arm). So my install will look alittle diffrent, but you can still see how things work. I can get more pictures if you want to see something specific.

http://www.schwabdesigns.com/jeep/axles/

RalphXJ said:
The pictures from my whole project can be found a the link below! The normal RK install will look diffrent from mine, i mounted the upper arm on the passanger side, rather then the drivers side(my axle was set up to only run a passanger side arm). So my install will look alittle diffrent, but you can still see how things work. I can get more pictures if you want to see something specific.

http://www.schwabdesigns.com/jeep/axles/

Is this Jeep your daily driver? How is bump steer and/or death wobble with that RK kit being as though it only has 3 of 4 control arms attached im skeptical

The XJ is no longer my DD, but I would have no problems driving it every day, it rides x10 better then it did with the short arms when i did DD it!

I have only had deathwobble once with it after the long arms, and that was yesterday, i hit a very large pothole(PA potholes will eat a 35in tire for lunch) and even then it wasn't as bad as I had when i first lifted it!!

I drove the Jeep on the highway about 200 miles the weekend after i finished the project and it handled as good or better then it did when it was stock!! I dont have any steering issues, it steers x500 better now then it did with the stock steering at 6in lift(my sabalizer was shot which didn't help).

Over all I couldn't be happier with the way the Jeep rides, i was prepared to hate the on road driving with all the work i did, but with the Long Arms and the diffrent steering I love driving it to work every once and while(the rear spool makes it alittle interesting though)

Its the stock Ford style steering. Its an Inverted T setup, rather then an Inverted Y that is stock on the Jeep.

If you look at the pictures you can see that the draglink bolts into the tie-rod. and the Tie-rod bolts from one knuckel to the other. On the Stock Jeep steering the Draglink bolts from the pitman arm down to the passanger side knuckel, and the tie-rod bolts from the drivers side knuckel to the draglink.

I'm running a Rusty's 6in lift, and the front axle added an extra 2in(you can see the coil mounts in the pictures), so I'm sitting alittle over 8in right now. I'm going to take it down to around 6.5in and bring the rear up to match so i can run 36 or 37s.

Sorry, alittle off topic but not really...

I'm looking to do this RK 3-link too. Just wondering though...

RALPHXJ...what sterring upgrades did you do? just links or other components as well?

cwbigjeep said:

RALPHXJ...what sterring upgrades did you do? just links or other components as well?

Read the whole thread.

cwbigjeep said:

I posted the answer just as you were asking the question! The post right above yours will answer your question.

I used the stock F150 tie-rod, and I had a custom draglink made. All I can tell you is its soild stock, with an F150 TRE at one end, and the stock XJ adjustment collar and TRE at the pitman arm end. This was basicly a cheap easy fix for the time being till I do a 1ton steering swap(either like i have it, or hi-steer, not sure yet).

I have had the complete 6.5" RK gen II kit for 2 years now. I just drove it 2200 miles from GA to Vegas towing a 2000 lb trailer. I had no problems with DW or anything else. I am running a DOE high steer setup as well. On 6+ inches high steer is where it is at. It steers so much better and there is no need for a steering stabilzer as long as your tires are balanced. I run a SS because I have a bad tire or rim on the front and it causes a pretty good shimmy at 60 mph. I can also get anyone interested in the RK stuff a really good deal on their stuff. I get a discount for helping them work the bugs out of the Gen II stuff and in turn they hook me up with a 15% discount. I will pass it on to anyone who wants get their stuff. I am in no way part of RK or a vendor. Just trying to help out fellow Jeepers. PM me if interested for all the details.

its good to see stories about rockkrawler that are not bad I couldn't find one good post about them on the net hardly.

BUCKYXJ said:
its good to see stories about rockkrawler that are not bad I couldn't find one good post about them on the net hardly.

It's human nature to be quick to complain and slow to praise.

Back