• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rockrail cause and affect?

flexjay87

NAXJA Forum User
recently installed a set of rock rails and i don't know if it's coincidence or not but my fan blade was hitting my shroud last time we were out.(same trails as always and has never touched shroud before in 6 years of wheeling) anybody had a similar deal, like stiff where used to flex before, or do you think i busted a motor mount? i can't really crawl under there tonight because my knee is sore as hell(torn miniscus probably, according to U of I hospital) any thoughts??? ( 87 xj,4.0 btw.)

No way the rock rails had anything to do with it!

RCP Phx said:
No way the rock rails had anything to do with it!
Maybe....if the rails moved the crossmember down. I suppose. Although it's pretty weird...

I can tell you what I went through not too long ago. Same problem. I dont believe it has anything to do with yer rock rail install. Mine rubbed for awhile, then suddenly didnt for awhile, THEN, my drivers side mounts through bolt snapped because the rubber was totally gone, and dropped the engine entirely while I was out wheeling, causing my front dshaft to contact the crossmember, chewing the hell out of all of my U-joints, ripping the tranny mount in half, and dinging the crap out of the underside of my ThumperXJ. I was stuck in the mud, out on the trail, and had about fifteen minutes of daylight left. I had to use a trailer hitch shank for a brace to get back to the road, which was murder, and completely finished off my U joints. I made the road, and luckily the broken, sloppy joints held long enough. Thumper then got a ride on the big flatbed wrecker back to my lab, where I had to replace ALL the U-joints, the top yoke on the rear d shaft, and both motor mounts(I installed the MORE bombproof rubber mounts, RE extended yoke and another stock tranny mount) CHECK THOSE MOUNTS! When it happened, I was, well, driving it like I stole it, cause I was in the mud. The horror..... The absolute HORROR!

damn thumper, sounds ugly. soon as i can i'll be checkin and or replacin those mounts. are M.O.R.E. the ones to go with you think? i think something with a rubber mount would be better for vibe control. A.J., what do you think for mounts if needed? also when you can,would you e-mail me with anything you have layin around that i might be interested in , you had mentioned some stuff last time we talked( either on the phone or last trail ride, can't remember)

scott w said:
damn thumper, sounds ugly. soon as i can i'll be checkin and or replacin those mounts. are M.O.R.E. the ones to go with you think? i think something with a rubber mount would be better for vibe control. A.J., what do you think for mounts if needed? also when you can,would you e-mail me with anything you have layin around that i might be interested in , you had mentioned some stuff last time we talked( either on the phone or last trail ride, can't remember)

M.O.R.E mounts are rubber :lecture:

Back