• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another A/C related problem

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
My only works in regular "window" setting, not the A/C range thats on the other side of the dial. I went to the mechanic, and he refilled the system, and i guess, sucked vacuum out of it? or sucked air out of it? it took about 20 mins... 1.2 lbs went in. So ... if my Ac works, it means it works, right? but how come none of the other settings work? when set, it blows hot air,... not cold, i checked all the fuses, the relay under the hood, ckecked also all these connectors to the compressor while its turned on, and off, tested the leads as well-power gets there, my mechanic suggested its the coil inside the clutch... ? could he be wrong?

how is word "bump" for 4 characters?

if he evacuated the system and checked for leaks then the system should work

If the system wasnt pushing air in the ac setting why did yoiu have it reachareged
Iwould have first got the air to go out the right vents before charging it..

r12 or r134a btw?

134... but what puzzles me, is that it works on regular "window" setting, and not in any AC ones...

i meant, not in the "AC Range" its a 98 sport, you know..... on the right side of the dial you have 4 AC settings, and on the left you have "normal" controls...?

OK--for a 1998, the "OFF" position for the heater/AC is the counterclockwise most position on the "mode" knob.

Thus, the AC functions in following positions ONLY:

1st position after full counterclockwise (MAX AC)
2nd postion after full counterclockwise ("normal AC"
3rd position after full counterclockwise ("dual level AC")

So....in which of these positions does your AC work, and in which does it NOT work. Please describe EXACTLY what it does in each position.

in ac settings, it blows warm air, in all the other ones it just blows air from outside, but when switched to "Defrost" i think thats what the proper name for it is, it blows ac

Purple said:
in ac settings, it blows warm air, in all the other ones it just blows air from outside, but when switched to "Defrost" i think thats what the proper name for it is, it blows ac

I have not had mine that far apart but isn't there a resistor pack on the backside of that panel ?

Purple said:
When it's blowing "warm air", does the temperature of the air change if you move the temperature select knob on the right hand portion of the heater control panel?

I really don't know in XJ 98 but in my XJ 95 most A/C controls are Vaccum related it sounds like a missconection, check for the coolant valve (if it have one) to be closed, and check the door that blend the air from the evaporator with the heater core.

I really don't know in XJ 98 but in my XJ 95 most A/C controls are Vaccum related it sounds like a missconection, check for the coolant valve (if it have one) to be closed, and check the door that blend the air from the evaporator with the heater core to control the temp.

Back