• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another A/C - belt question

95XJMichigan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 cherokee with with a/c. The compressor is about ready to die, I live in michigan so i never use the a.c anyways, is there any way that i can remove the compressor and just use a non a/c belt? I did search, but i didnt find a complete answer.

This is a fairly straightforward task - the only real "trick" is to find a belt that is the right length. According to O'Reilly Auto parts website, you'll need a K060710 belt (6 groove, 71" long) as opposed to a K060975 (6 groove, 97.5" long). You should need to route the belt exactly the same, minus the A/C compressor - the most important thing is to make sure the water pump rotates the same way, so you don't overheat.

Hope this helps!

Just a suggestion, since you said you live in MI and never use the A/C. How about your defroster? You ever use it in the winter time? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that run off the a/c compressor too?

99XJSPORT06 said:
Just a suggestion, since you said you live in MI and never use the A/C. How about your defroster? You ever use it in the winter time? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't that run off the a/c compressor too?

Yup, supplies dry air to the windshield which defogs the thing faster. Without it he'll have to wait till the engine really warms up to blow hot air across. Not a big deal, I remember when A/C was a $1500 option on a 66 Ford galaxy 500XL and a $1000 option on a 68 Ford country squire station wagon...
If the rest of the system is in fairly good shape it is worth while to replace it with a new or newer one, I'm about ready to bite the $600 bullet on the evap in the heater box, 88f and 99% humidity here today, I'm not going thru a summer like that...

Rich,
My 97 only 'cools' the air a little bit. For a while, the evap would freeze up and no air would blow out of the vents until I switched to vent, melted the ice, and then had 20 minutes of cool air before I had to repeat the process.

I replaced the low-pressure switch about 2 years ago (there was a TSB on it) and now, the air never seems to get 'cold', and the compressor cycles 4-5 seconds on, 4-5 seconds off.

If the evap was bad, I'd have NO cold air, correct?

I hope it's just 'low' on coolant.

The book says that the compressor on high max output should cycle no more than 4 or 5 times a minute. If more then it is low on coolant.

mine would cycle about 5-8 per minute. Recharged it Tuesday, now it runs MUCH better. Gas milage has improved slightly when i run the a/c....guess thats cause it's not working so hard.

My brother in law was supposed to do it at the dealship where he works (he's a tech--not Jeep, unfortunately). Thier machine broke.

Now I'll be paying out the hiney, but I don't care. It's too hot otherwise.

How much for a evac/recharge should I expect to pay? The one shop I asked told me $115, another $150. Is that reasonable?

TacticalFats said:
My brother in law was supposed to do it at the dealship where he works (he's a tech--not Jeep, unfortunately). Thier machine broke.

Now I'll be paying out the hiney, but I don't care. It's too hot otherwise.

How much for a evac/recharge should I expect to pay? The one shop I asked told me $115, another $150. Is that reasonable?

You should get a credit from the 134a that they get out, the machine will tell them exactly how many ounces/lbs they recovered. As for the price, at this time of the year they kinda have a grip on your short and curlies....

If you're just recharging, you can do that yourself. Just go to your favorite store with an auto deparemtent and pick up a can or two to be safe of r134. But if you're converting, thats different.

If the compressor is actually ready to die, but the bearings in the clutch pulley are still all right, the easiest thing to do is to ignore it. Let the compressor serve as an idler pulley and leave it at that. If it's out of refrigerant, it won't cycle on anyway. If it has refrigerant but makes noise or works badly, unplug the switch on the receiver or the lead to the compressor clutch, and it won't come on again. It's a cheaper alternative than hunting down the extra idler that non AC Cherokees used.

RichP said:
You should get a credit from the 134a that they get out, the machine will tell them exactly how many ounces/lbs they recovered. As for the price, at this time of the year they kinda have a grip on your short and curlies....

He was going to do it *ahem* after hours....

Back