• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator upper hose question

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am doing a cooling system upgrade on my 89 XJ 4.0. I went ahead and bought all the parts.. sepifically for a 92 XJ 4.0 and got all OEM parts except for the radiator.. thats a modine 2 core :) I got: thermostat housing, thermostat and gasket, radiator over flow bottle and cap, upper and lower radiator hoses.

Well, I compared my new upper radiator hose against my old one( I have AC) and they are diffrent. The old one is longer and routes around and behind the AC pump, the new one seems to go over the AC, and looks like it would work. Will this new hose work good for me ? Wont rub on the AC and get a hole later on ?

Are you sure the hood won't hit it when it closes, or otherwise become flattened and compromise flow? There should be two different hoses, one for AC and one for non-AC, and it looks as if you got the non-AC version. If there's any doubt, I'd get the right one.

Matthew Currie said:
Are you sure the hood won't hit it when it closes, or otherwise become flattened and compromise flow? There should be two different hoses, one for AC and one for non-AC, and it looks as if you got the non-AC version. If there's any doubt, I'd get the right one.

I was thinking that.. but I looked up on autozone and they only show one hose for a 92 like if they all were AC. Then I looked up my 89 and it asks me if I have AC, and the AC hose part number matches the 92 hose. This tells me 92 XJ's all were AC ?

Can anyone with a 92 XJ and AC verify the upper radiator hose goes over the AC pump ?

Dan

Last edited:
Heh. I had the opposite experience -- my OLD hose was the style that went over the compressor, and the NEW one is the longer hose that wraps around the back of the compressor.

Mine's a '94 with A/C, and I do believe that the old (short) hose was original. It still had the plastic heat shield on it where it crossed over the compressor, anyway.

Personally I think the longer one is better... less chance of it getting crushed, doesn't contact the (hot) compressor, and slightly increases the coolant capacity. But, as it was said above, as long as it has plenty of clearance, the short hose should be fine.

Mine sits on top of the A/C compressor. I made a cover for the hose so it would not chafe against the A/C compressor. I have no hood clearance problems.

iBran said:
Mine's a '94 with A/C, and I do believe that the old (short) hose was original. It still had the plastic heat shield on it where it crossed over the compressor, anyway.

my new OEM hose has the plastic heat shield you talk about..

I think I'll fit my hose and see how it does. Should get the new radiator in this weekend.

Thanks
Dan

A while back at pep boys -not my favorite place but anyway- they asked me if I wanted the non-ac hose or the ac hose. They were identical except the AC one had the plastic shield. The AC one was around $9 more. So I just switched the plastic anti-chafe cover from the old hose. This was for a 95 4.0. Tape a ball of alum foil to the top of the hose. You can use that to judge the hood clearance.

On the 87 it was definitely a different hose. I see that on the 95 it does go over the compressor. I'd still make sure that the compressor on the 89 isn't higher than the later ones as bajacal suggests, but I guess if it fits it should be all right.

What's the part number?

I was looking at my Autozone reciept, and it looks like the long hose part number is L-396. On the website, that shows up as a "Kelly Springfield Upper Curved" hose for $12.99.

Their site also shows a Goodyear hose (#61444) for $21... maybe that's the short hose?

My 98's original hoses and all the replacement hoses go over the compressor. Just make sure you get the new hose to lay down on the compressor before putting the clamps back on. The shield will protect the hose from rubbing. Thats if they are OEM hoses and have the shields. The lower hose should have a fabric shield as well as a an internal spring.

Back