• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Dashboard

joseywales53

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody. I am an industrial design student and I am designing and building a custom dashboard for my XJ as a studio project this semester. I was wondering if I could get everybody's input. My goal is to design the dash to make it more user friendly when on the trail. Some criteria I have developed for myself:
lotsa gauges, placed so they're easy to read
easy to clean (water resistant)
radio w/in easy reach/sight
room for switches, w/in easy reach/sight
cannot obstruct driver's vision
cannot cramp driver/passenger
room for GPS/CB/ipod(?)

My xj is pretty much a dedicated trail vehicle, so the ability to clean with a hose is important. Do you have any thoughts/suggestions?
What about your dashboard do you wish were different?
Where would you like to see specific gauges/switches/components?
Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated. This post is part of the user studies I must do for the project, so any feedback will be a great help! This will not be as simple as adding a couple of gauges to the dashboard, I will be completely rebuilding the entire dashboard and relocating EVERY component. I am still debating on materials, but it will likely be carbon fiber as i can get it for cheap. However, material suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well, because I am not yet sure what material i am going to finish the dashboard with. I am just starting the project, so no idea is too wild or too far-fetched! You could consider this 'brainstorming.' Again, thank you in advance for any help.

Joe, [email protected]
'85 XJ, lift, motor, axles, etc.
'88 YJ, bone stock

i would say building the dash with all the gauges and electronics, then doing some type of plexi face/cover..... so that way when you are on the trail, or cleaning it you have everything sealed and closed off to keep dust, mud, and water out.... but its somethign that can easily be removed, opened, or something..... i dont know, last time i got so much dustand crap in my stereo, and hvac controls i thought i was going to have to replace everything (bad part about new mexico maybe)

I like the carbon fiber idea, if you're going to start from scratch, go all out.

I would try to do something that is modular, so you can add gauges, switches etc. at a later time and it won't look like an add-on.

You might want to check into pre-runner racing interiors. They're kind of bare-boned, just the necessities, but use all the high-tech materials. Also check into some of the concept vehicles, such as the Rescue, always a wealth of ideas. The Rescue for example, has a canteen that snap-fits into the side of the center console, coils springs on the seat frames, etc.

Also do a matching A-pillar pod w. gauges and a matching center console.

I'll take mine in carbon-fiber w. stainless accents. :)

Check out awshifting.com

4.0knob.jpg

Incorporate this into the dash in a way that it will be easy to shift quickly without looking.

Perhaps you could put each gauge in it's own box.only the wires/fittings coming out.The wires could have clip together plugs.

Then design your dash to accept the boxes.Attach them in a way that they could easily be removed.

Design the dash face a a cover for these,and make it quickly removeable.

Don't forget a c.b. radio and possibly a ham radio.

The console would be a good place for communication radios,and could have a water proof lid.

keep in mind that radios need some cooling.

:repair:

question: ever have one of those cheap(er) dvd players where all the buttons look/feel the same? keep that in mind when putting switches/ gauges in. group related stuff, but don't put everything in 1 row. get my drift? also, consider modulating them in units. that way, different users can change stuff around to asthetic/practical preference, or easily incorporate additional stuff. knee impact bolsters, safety padding, etc. is something that would show that you are putting a lot of thought into a practical design. this is prolly overkill, but an airbag on a 95' is completely 100% mechanical and self-contained. mabye a removable pass. side airbag? i smell brownie points....:D
hope this helps...

If I had my way I'de make everything lcd digital and reprioratize the cluster layout according to speed and vehicle condition (red guage flashes and grows insize, etc.)

Since you mentioned it, I love my iPod (no more CD's bouncing around the XJ). A slot (waterproof maybe?) where I could insert my iPod, no extraneous wires, plus an interface on the dash where I could choose between songs, playlists, etc. BMW did something along those lines, but rugged and waterproof would be the key in your project, as opposed to stylish and visible pomp in theirs.

just thought of this:
1)autometer roll pods are pretty modular. i bet you could waterproof those, and they would be totally self contained.
2) or, you could make the dash itself modular, like individual units mounted on a slide rail system or something, they would be easy to remove/change out, the radio would be infinately adjustable and easy to remove to prevent theft, speakers would be able to be custom placed, etc.
3)a corvette style waterfall center console (but backwards) that's also the dash center. and a seperate "dash box" on each side.
4) if your motor has a puter' you can relocate it inside a module in the dash, and take the module out to prevent theft.
hope this helps! good luck!!!

If you are going the fiberglass or carbon-fiber route, be sure to make the thing while its mounted in the vehicle. Otherwise, it WILL warp on you- let it cure completely before removeing it to do any modifications to it. Check out www.selectproducts.com for fiberglass and carbon-fiber supplies, it's where I get all my stuff.

Back