• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of fluid do I use in my manual Tranny??

Elohim1

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and am not sure what Kind of fluid to use. I have heard ATF and 75-90 gear lube.

It is a 89 with a five speed.
I am not sure which tranny I have. It is either the AX15 or BA10/5

Any info. would help.

Thanks

Elohim1 said:
I have searched and am not sure what Kind of fluid to use. I have heard ATF and 75-90 gear lube.

It is a 89 with a five speed.
I am not sure which tranny I have. It is either the AX15 or BA10/5

Any info. would help.

Thanks

If it is an AX15 then use the dealer supplied lube, GL3 only. With that said I've been running Mobil-1 gear lube for the past 200,000mi, I put it in before all the hoooraa about the GL3 vs GL5 thing started a year after I got my 98 new. As always YMMV
As for the BA10, no clue.... I understand you can identify the BA trannies because they area a split case design vs the AX which is not but has a solid case, but don't hold me to that, it's just something I remember.

The AX 15 and BA 10/5 take the same Oil.
SAE 75W-90 or GL-3

RichP said:
As for the BA10, no clue.... I understand you can identify the BA trannies because they area a split case design vs the AX which is not but has a solid case, ..... .

Yep.

4Banger said:
The AX 15 and BA 10/5 take the same Oil.
SAE 75W-90 or GL-3

Yep.

NOPE, not by a long shot, the AX uses sintered bearings [bronze] use of a GL4, 5 or 6 rated lube will chew them up and spit them out. The dealer sells a specific lube for the AX15, stuff is damn expensive too, $15 a quart. It is a GL3 ONLY lube and is labled SPEFICIALLY for the AX15, it's not a hybrid gl2,3,4,5,6 'cover all the bases' lube like coastal or valvoline. GL3 specs include NO sulphur content at all, gl2, 4, 5 and 6 allow sulphur [ever wonder why gear lube smells, thats sulphur]. As I said before I've been running mobil 1 gear oil in mine and have had no problems but I'm down to the last 2 bottles I bought in 99, I buy stuff by the case when possible and will pick up a newer one to see if the specs changed and it now contains sulphur. If it does then the change after next will be with lube from the dealer. I hate to give up the mobil 1 though, it makes shifting in cold weather with a cold drivetrain so much easier. I also run Mobil-1 ATF in all three of our jeeps with the 231 transfer cases. They all shift into 4lo like greased lightning, no grinding or bouncing of the lever.
The only place I don't run mobil-1 is on my 98's 8.25 rear with it's auburn, auburn specifically says NO to synthetic gear lubes with their LSD...

Almost forgot, Redline makes a lube that is safe for the AX series, two in fact. Just no redline dealers around here where I can walk in an buy it over the counter..

I was just about to mention the RedLine MT90 product, specifically made for manual transmissions with brass synchronizers plus the synthetic base stock gives me peace of mind over the dealer product. The gl5 is for your rear end (pun intended) not tranny. I run the redline product with a bottle of LubeGuard gear fluid/mt supplement (one of the few additive companies recommended by a lot of manufacturers) and my ax15 shifts like butter. Its avaliable at www.summitracing.com for an ok price ($7/q) and most ax15 takes about 3.3 quarts. NorCal is correct, the Peugeot tranny can be seperated lengthwise in 2 pieces like a hot dog bun, the ax-15 only at the ends. Its pretty obvious if you crawl and look under there. BA105 should take 2.25 q, so says my manual.

Last edited:
Oh well.
Thought it was the right info. Got it out of my Chilton Manual.
What's up with today's world? Can't even trust a book anymore?! ;-)
(Darn aftermarket crap.Time to look for a FSM )
Anyway.
Thanks for the info on the GL3.
Learn something new everyday.

RichP said:
NOPE, not by a long shot, the AX uses sintered bearings [bronze] use of a GL4, 5 or 6 rated lube will chew them up and spit them out. The dealer sells a specific lube for the AX15, stuff is damn expensive too, $15 a quart. It is a GL3 ONLY lube and is labled SPEFICIALLY for the AX15, it's not a hybrid gl2,3,4,5,6 'cover all the bases' lube like coastal or valvoline. GL3 specs include NO sulphur content at all, gl2, 4, 5 and 6 allow sulphur [ever wonder why gear lube smells, thats sulphur]. As I said before I've been running mobil 1 gear oil in mine and have had no problems but I'm down to the last 2 bottles I bought in 99, I buy stuff by the case when possible and will pick up a newer one to see if the specs changed and it now contains sulphur. If it does then the change after next will be with lube from the dealer. I hate to give up the mobil 1 though, it makes shifting in cold weather with a cold drivetrain so much easier. I also run Mobil-1 ATF in all three of our jeeps with the 231 transfer cases. They all shift into 4lo like greased lightning, no grinding or bouncing of the lever.
The only place I don't run mobil-1 is on my 98's 8.25 rear with it's auburn, auburn specifically says NO to synthetic gear lubes with their LSD...

Almost forgot, Redline makes a lube that is safe for the AX series, two in fact. Just no redline dealers around here where I can walk in an buy it over the counter..

4Banger said:
Oh well.
Thought it was the right info. Got it out of my Chilton Manual.
What's up with today's world? Can't even trust a book anymore?! ;-)
(Darn aftermarket crap.Time to look for a FSM )
Anyway.
Thanks for the info on the GL3.
Learn something new everyday.

Using a chiltons or hanynes manual for reliable information is like defending a doctoral thesis based on reading cliff notes.... :laugh3:

RichP said:
Using a chiltons or hanynes manual for reliable information is like defending a doctoral thesis based on reading cliff notes.... :laugh3:

The last CHILTON I had didn't make it past the outhouse on my last camping trip. Little tougher than the old sears catalogs.

Back