• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear purchasing

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 xj with a 8.25 in the rear and the dana 30 up front.

Im probably going with the yukon 4.56 gears. I have no question about the rear gears and install kit but i do have a q about the front. Ive been looking around and i see gears for sale with cruse sleeve, without crush sleeve, pinion reverse, and then the regular 4.56 pinion and ring (im wont be installing them but i know i need an install kit). What is it i need?

2000 xj *should* come with a LP d30 meaning that you need the normal gears

not:
Reverse cut
High pinion

if memory serves - there are 3 types of gearsets for the d30 -
"normal"
high pinion
TJ

you have the "normal" setup... I think - you may have the TJ setup...

and no offence - but if you are unfermiliar with a crush sleve, changing gears in an axle that spins all the time is not for you...
talk to a local shop (the one that will be doing the install) and see what the price difference is if they supply the gears VS you supply the gears... if its within $200, id say have them supply the gears - then if there are any whineine or other problems - they own the problem and cannot say: thoes arent my gears - not my problem...

High pinion D30s use shims. Low pinion D30s use crush collars and shims.

XJs had an axle switch in 99, they could be hi or low pinion.

--Matt

You need the LP D30 short(TJ) pinion set!

Give Ryan a look at www.fourwheelsupply.net or call him at 276-971-4549. He has the best prices on Yukon and can help you out with what you will need.

Back