• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash removal

94XJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how to remove the entire dash. I will need to replace the floor, correctly, this summer, as i kinda ghetto rigged it last summer to get by with sheet metal pounded with a ball pien, foamed, and undercoated. Where the transmission hump is, i cant get too far back. I want to remove the dash to make it easier to move around in there when im working. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

-Tim

It's pretty easy on the pre-facelifts. To remove the centre console you have to get the dash out to give you room, as I'm sure you know. Basically it's just a series of crosshead screws, with maybe the odd nut in there (I can't remember), and the gearknob. In my case, it was a case of getting a spanner to loosen off the bottom of the knob, so I could get the rubber boot off - it's a manual.

Make sure you've got lots of little zip-tie type freezer bags to put the different screws into and label each one as to where on the dash the screws go to - believe me, you'll need to know! The dash requires a little teasing out, as the fit's tight, but it'll bend OK around the steering wheel. You will also have to remove your radio. The knee blocker is OK to remove, but have a little gaffer tape handy to stick your relays to the steering column, otherwise they'll foul your feet while driving.

You'll also have to remove the seat belt brackets and the door trim surround. The only tool you'll need for that apart from a screwdriver is a 50 or 55 torx bit.

Seats, if you go as far as to yank out the carpet completely, come away with a 13mm socket.

Good luck!

Back