• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.4 liter V6 in an xj

xtremexj

NAXJA Forum User
Im gonna replace my old worn out 2.8 for a 3.4 v6. Ive got a couple questions though. Should I buy a new engine or get a used one? Should I stay with the stock carb off my 2.8 or get a different one? Also is there anything I should look out for while doing this swap or any thing else I would need? Thanks for any input on this.

with the new vs. used, i would go with new if u could afford it, but a low milage used would work fine. did u have any problems with your stock carb that u hated? gotta be more specific if u want any help.

kolby

Your carb may run lean. Looks like you've got an 84 and those carbs aren't the best in the world. I have a freshened one that I never got around to putting on. When I had mine, I had figured the easiest and best route was the 2.8 TBI off an S10 with 4.3 injectors on it. Get the computer and all. Course you are in FL with no inspection, so you could do a weber instead.

Personally I would upgrade to a 4.0l, if a donor vehicle is available with all the fuel injection computer, harnesses, exhaust etc. Bit more work, but it'll be complete with all jeep parts and a jeep manual will get you through it. Plus have you checked into how the width of a v-motor will fit in the bay?

I did this swap a few months ago with a 95 camaro engine with 70,000 miles on it. It was cheap and I don't see the need for a new engine unless you have the money. I did stay with the rochester carb for my new engine, but after a rebuild the carb went down hill fast and so I broke down and got a weber. I highly suggest this carb...major difference in power for me.

I had never done any engine work before, but I made it through with the help of this guide.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

Remember one thing when you do this though:Things will not go together as easy as they did when you imagined it in your head.

If you need anything, let me know

Clay

Seeing as how its an older xj, why go with a new motor? A properly rebuilt one or a low mileage used one should have many thousands of trouble free miles. The money saved could be put to the unexpected costs incurred in the swap ;) I've also heard of people swapping 2.8s with GM 4.3s a very good engine, dad has a 100% original with almost 300k. It would need a different tranny though, as its completely different block than the 2.8, unless you go with an adaptor. Stupid ideas aside, I don't know what tranny you have but I would consider a motor and 5spd tranny swap from a 90's GM truck if you have say, the ax-5 or ba10 transmission.

Back