• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My custom intake and question...

tetsulo

NAXJA Member #1239
I've been building a custom intake for my soon to be renix stroker. the air tubes I've come across are designed for the HO rubber intake which is straight, unlike the renix which have a strong bend in them.

My question is about the location of the 'bungs' for the line which runs to the charcoal canister.

I'm planning on putting the bung for the valve cover on the inner corner of the the pipe. and I don't see any problems with that. However, where is the ideal location for the line running to the canister? As close as possible to the air filter at the bottom? as in my rough diagram below? What I'm concerned about with the curve is a ram air effect. I don't why high velocity rushing into the line. On the stock airbox it's actually put in a low pressure area behind a lip right at where the airbox connects to the tube.

just looking for some ideas!

thanks

tetsulo

dsc_3148s.jpg

dsc_3153s.jpg

The bungs should be fine where you have them there. I wouldn't worry about any significant ram air effect since the filter is under the hood, away from any direct airflow. However you might consider getting pipe long enough to get rid of the corrugated part of the rubber airtube that hooks to the throttlebody. That way you have smooth line all the way to the throttlebody.

ACE said:
The bungs should be fine where you have them there. I wouldn't worry about any significant ram air effect since the filter is under the hood, away from any direct airflow.

It's the air on the inside of the pipe being drawn through by the engine that I'm actually wondering about.

ACE said:
However you might consider getting pipe long enough to get rid of the corrugated part of the rubber airtube that hooks to the throttlebody. That way you have smooth line all the way to the throttlebody.

Yes. I had thought of cutting off the bend at the end and just sleeving it into the flexible part as a straight line. There needs to be flex somewhere so engine can move in relation to the body. But the flexy part is actually an oval inside. I thought about cutting all the way up above the bend but just didn't think there would be enough flex to keep it all happy for any length of time. With the renix flange mount instead of the more common HO style it's not easy to custom fit anything directly to the TB.

thanks!

tetsulo

Back