• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 problems, hi rev & did i kill my battery?

rokclimbertx

NAXJA Member #1267
hey all...

coupla issues have popped up and i'm sure there's plenty of advice to be had from ya'll... both most likely unrelated i think... 2001 XJ, FIPK intake, procomp yellow top battery, warn 9500, lift etc... i think shouldn't make much difference...

1) sporadically (that's every so often but not that often for some of you, LOL) the engine will just rev up for no apparent reason... can happen while waiting for a light to change or sitting at sonic waiting for a drink... can be in gear with clutch engaged or clutch out gearing in neutral... usually a few steps on the gas will get it back down or putting in gear and slowly letting clutch out slows it down... whats happening and why?

2) did i kill my battery? was trying to help a local sheriff get his dodge diesel 4x4 outta some mud with no luck... heavy truck, VERY stuck... after a few winch attempts my engine dies... get it jumped off & kept it hooked to the other battery while we tried again with a snatch block to double up the winch power, no luck... so i pulled over to the side of the road and let her idle while another truck used my strap to YANK the crap outta the dodge and everyone goes home happy... until i get to a car wash... we'll after losing my buck in the machine i decide to just go home and call it a day and she wont start, just the same dead battery clicking from earlier... jumped off, came home, possibly tried to stall & die on the way but i turned the stop sign into yield and kept on goin... she's on a charger now but shows 75% charged... i think i killed the battery, maybe things will be fine in the morning who knows...

good thing is i have a few new friends in oklahoma law enforcement... gotta be a good thing...

thanks for any input!
stace

[edit] the battery is a coupla years old

Last edited:
rokclimbertx said:
hey all...

coupla issues have popped up and i'm sure there's plenty of advice to be had from ya'll... both most likely unrelated i think... 2001 XJ, FIPK intake, procomp yellow top battery, warn 9500, lift etc... i think shouldn't make much difference...

2) did i kill my battery? was trying to help a local sheriff get his dodge diesel 4x4 outta some mud with no luck... heavy truck, VERY stuck... after a few winch attempts my engine dies... get it jumped off & kept it hooked to the other battery while we tried again with a snatch block to double up the winch power, no luck... so i pulled over to the side of the road and let her idle while another truck used my strap to YANK the crap outta the dodge and everyone goes home happy... until i get to a car wash... we'll after losing my buck in the machine i decide to just go home and call it a day and she wont start, just the same dead battery clicking from earlier... jumped off, came home, possibly tried to stall & die on the way but i turned the stop sign into yield and kept on goin... she's on a charger now but shows 75% charged... i think i killed the battery, maybe things will be fine in the morning who knows...

good thing is i have a few new friends in oklahoma law enforcement... gotta be a good thing...

thanks for any input!
stace

[edit] the battery is a coupla years old

You need to get the starter out and take it to an auto shop and have them test it. Sounds like what happened to me and it was the starter.

took the battery in for a checkup and yep, i killed it... my strong 750CCA battery after charging all night and idlling for 30 minutes wouldnt start back up 10 minutes after shutting the engine off... after the checkup it had a whopping 40CCA... so a new battery has taken care of that problem...

now just to figure the intermittent hi revving thing... TPS maybe? any other ideas?

Back