• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clocking the NP 242

PNWXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? I have a spare t-case and would like to try this but thought I would get some input on it first. My main concern is lubrication and reliability for being daily driven. Next is getting it to fit under the body and such.

TIA

Tim

Never tried it but I'm working under an '88 with the 242 right now and I don't see a whole lot of room to clock it. If it was that easy, dont'cha think they would have done it from the factory?

Eagle,

"dont'cha think they would have done it from the factory?"

Alot of things could have come from the factory. But because of their cheapness, they don't do it. Example is a K&N is alot better than stock paper, and is very easy to replace, but it too expensive for the factory. A couple of cents on a million cars is alot of dough. Just my two cents. LOL. Anyhow the case can not be rotated unless you hack the floor. Oiling is also a little awkward since the oil pickup is at the bottom of the case, it is not a slinger type case and actualy has a pump in it.

If you use a YJ NP231 it will clock it up 9* compared to any regular XJ t-case. But then you may have oiling problems as mentioned above.

I think its more worthwhile to suck up the entire drivetrain....

there *is* room.

Cross10.JPG

even though it appears that the tcase is still hanging down, i was able to tuck it up at least 1.5-2"........

My 231 is rotated up about 2 inches at the low end. I redrilled the tail shaft housing on the NV 4500, works like a champ.

In fairness though, the NV forced me to tilt the tranny back a little, so I had more room to turn the T-case upwards.

CRASH

Beezil, did you raise the motor too or just 'tilt' the whole thing up. It looks as if there is a lot more room to move everything upward as apposed to clocking it.

Kinda makes ya wonder why Jeep didnt do that at the factory..A Eagle?

Anyway at least the oiling question was answered.

Thanks

Tim

well first of all the 242 is a PILE o JUNK, so take it out and toss it in the trash! then u can put a 231 in or whatever but what is the point of cloin it? i have never hit my t case even when i hardcore wheeled stock!!:D

stoney

WHOA Stoney......242.....back up yer claims there....

Been wheelin one for 4 years....not a prob... been to badlands, tellico, Moab..

I have to get this t-case up cause it keeps getting caught on speed bumps at the mall and have you seen those new
speed 'Humps', they're friggin huge!!

And yes I have actually caught my t-case on the trail. As for the 242 being a POS, I think I am fine as I am not as HARDCORE as you. The 242 works well for me (with the exception of the leaky RE SYE) espesially for snow driving.

Tim

I just tipped everything up....motor mounts are the same.....

yes, there is plenty of room to move the powertrain up, but now I'm thinking doing BOTH would be like, THE THANG......I probably wouldn't have had to cut a hole in my plate to make room for the front drop....

if I got some of my chocolate into crash's peanut butter.......

Beezil, thanks that is probably what I will do. Although I might raise the motor mounts a bit to help with DS angles.

Thanks

Tim

Beezil, how many inches did you move the motor up? Reasion I ask is you can only move it up so much untill it hits the hood...

Ted Z said:
WHOA Stoney......242.....back up yer claims there....

Been wheelin one for 4 years....not a prob... been to badlands, tellico, Moab..

Hey Ted, the 231 is beefier than the 242. theres a pic of the two shafts around here somewhere where it is evident.

I'm not saying the 242 is junk but if you learn to drive in the slipery stuff you wouldn't need the AWD. :twak:

Scott Mac. said:
Hey Ted, the 231 is beefier than the 242. theres a pic of the two shafts around here somewhere where it is evident.

I'm not saying the 242 is junk but if you learn to drive in the slipery stuff you wouldn't need the AWD. :twak:

Very true, very true. I just think it is easier on everything in the snow for the reason of front and rear lockers that bind like hell. When I first started driving I had a 78 Ramcharger with full time 4WD and i remember it was way easier to handle on ice when it was in full time and not in "lock". Maybe it was just that rig but that has kinda made me think that way.

Anyways thanks for the input.

Tim

If you driving on anything slick, the drivetrain has no reason to bind.
I have had to shift both the t-case and the tranny in the same corner turning on to a street that has been salted off of one that was iced over.

To each their own. :cheers:

there are parts of the 231 shaft that are bigger dia., but when you study the differences, you realize, that the difference in foot pound ratings (by NPG/NVG) come into play while the 242 is in fulltime mode.....

otherwise each case is mechanically similar in part-time, and both share the same diameter of the common weakpoint, which is the speedo gear cut area.....

on the charts, the 242j is roughly 400 foot-pounds weaker than the 231 j

I am dumb, hence I haven't gotten a pic for you........oh wait.....here's my camera......I'll be right back.......

CRASH

Back