• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Windshield replacement?

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
Now my windshield cracked from top to bottom, right in the center... 89XJ 4dr.

I've read that all replacements are not created equal, and I've gotten quotes for $225 and $280 to replace it. I'm not looking for top-'o-the-line, but don't want problems either. Any bad stuff I should look out for? How to tell?

Oh, and is this a good price? Is it worth doing it myself? How do I get a replacement as a part only if that's so?

As always, thanks in advance,
Skip

skipc said:
Now my windshield cracked from top to bottom, right in the center... 89XJ 4dr.

I've read that all replacements are not created equal, and I've gotten quotes for $225 and $280 to replace it. I'm not looking for top-'o-the-line, but don't want problems either. Any bad stuff I should look out for? How to tell?

Oh, and is this a good price? Is it worth doing it myself? How do I get a replacement as a part only if that's so?

As always, thanks in advance,
Skip

When my first winshield went due to an UFO encounter on the freeway I got an OEM one in (my XJ came stock with darker windshield). Cost me damn near $350. When I lost that one 2 weeks later due to a rock kicked up by a big rig I got a shop to put in an aftermarket one: it cost me only $125 and it is just as dark just doesn't say mopar on it. Anyways, I think the most important thing is to go to a shop that can seal that windshield good. Everything else... well if you can see through the windshield fine, it's a winner :D

Well I see things differently. The greatest disappointment in replacement windshields is the distortion in the stangest places. The only time you can see them is when you look through the glass at the same angle that it will be in when installed. Look at all parts of the windshield. Sometimes it is worse where the bends are. Look at an object in the distance and move your head up and down, left and right and see if the object moves due to the distortion.

I have windshields installed by a mobile unit that does it right at my home. First one, a few years ago, was $125. I think they are now up to $140 or $150. I think I am getting the "offshore" glass, but considering how quickly XJ windshileds get scratched up and how prone they are to being cracked by flying pebbles, there's no way I'm going to pay two or three times that much for a windshiled. I have never noticed any distortion in the ones I've bought from these folks.

Having spent several hours working with Matthew Currie trying to remove an old windshiled from a wrecked XJ, I would not attempt to install one myself. The pros have an electric caulking gun that uses industrial size tubes of the correct sealant, so the complete job takes less than 15 minutes -- and if it leaks they get to fix it under warranty.

Eagle said:
I have windshields installed by a mobile unit that does it right at my home. First one, a few years ago, was $125. I think they are now up to $140 or $150. I think I am getting the "offshore" glass, but considering how quickly XJ windshileds get scratched up and how prone they are to being cracked by flying pebbles, there's no way I'm going to pay two or three times that much for a windshiled. I have never noticed any distortion in the ones I've bought from these folks.

Having spent several hours working with Matthew Currie trying to remove an old windshiled from a wrecked XJ, I would not attempt to install one myself. The pros have an electric caulking gun that uses industrial size tubes of the correct sealant, so the complete job takes less than 15 minutes -- and if it leaks they get to fix it under warranty.

I must confess that I still have that windshield, uninstalled. When my 95 need a new one this spring, I went down to the barn and thought long and hard, and even went out and bought a tube of urethane, but because my XJ uses the rubber surround, and the windshield was leaking badly, and....and... I bit the bullet and took it to a local windshield place, where they put in a nice new PPG windshield, a brand new surround, and did the necessary surface priming, etc., for $240 including a warrantee against leakage.

I figure that spare windshield might yet come in handy, if a rock goes through my current one on a sunday night before a long trip or something, maybe I'll wipe the blood stains and bat guano off it and stick it in.

I swear by PPG glass... I always get it installed by Harmon Glass... My insurance company (USAA) uses them and they really had nothing but good luck form them. They charge by the windshield for the job regardless of what brand of glass they use and when i told them I wanted PPG or Mopar OEM they said no problem and that they didnt blame me... They ordered me the PPG as they felt it was better glass. Great people .. Find a harmon glass in your area... My previous window was a safelite. Apparently safelite buys seconds from other companies and their own in house glass is made with a differnt process... I also think LOF makes a good window but i am partial to PPG

if you can find a clean one in a bone yard it's worth $50.00.

I had JOSE, no joke, he was hispanic, put it in and it's perfect. Nice to see a guy making an HONEST living. Charged me $50.00 and came to me, at my conveinience.

I've recomended him 5 times. He called me and told me if I got 5 more people that I recomended to him, he do the next one for FREE.

I like him more now.

Saftee Glass did mine a couple of years ago, under insurance coverage. No distortion to speak of. Don't remember who the glass was made by, though.

What I *WOULD* look for is a guarantee against leaks. I was warned, in particular, against closing the doors with the windows shut for the first 24 hours. It takes the caulk that long to cure, and you'll pop the windshield right out.

Just got a quote to do mine for $165 and they will come to me. most places are wanting $250+

Back