• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front hubs vs. older style????

Danno

NAXJA Forum User
I pulled the front hubs off my daughter's '97 D30 to replace them with a set of used Warn discos that I had sitting around. I want to keep these hubs and axles in case somebody blows out a set on the trail. It's a frequent occurence while leading a large group of XJs in Moab.
Do these newer hubs fit the older XJs okay? Seems like there might be a clearance issue that I "faintly" recall. Anybody know for SURE? TIA, Danno

It has to do with the "backspacing" of the rotors... the hubs must be used with rotors of the same design era.

Lawn Cher' said:
It has to do with the "backspacing" of the rotors... the hubs must be used with rotors of the same design era.

right again boss..........84 to 90 used one style and 91 up use the other style... the older style the bearing in the unit is recessed about 1/2" and 91 up it is flush..

xjnation said:
right again boss..........84 to 90 used one style and 91 up use the other style... the older style the bearing in the unit is recessed about 1/2" and 91 up it is flush..

There is also a difference in the new body style models with using the cast versus composite rotors. I can't swap between my '97 & '01 XJ's.

Thanks guys!
I'll save the old rotors with the axles and hubs just in case. The Warn discos required getting the older style of rotors instead of the composites. Thanks again.
I'm going to carry an extra set around just so we don't get stuck out on "Behind The Rocks" or "Pritchett Canyon" with no replacements and 25 miles back to town.

Back