• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

deaver, national, or alcan?

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
Which one of these three leaf packs would you run if cost was not a factor?
Looking for about 6" of lift.

Daily driver with trail and rockcrawling thrown in.

Thanks for any input.

K

corbinafly said:
Which one of these three leaf packs would you run if cost was not a factor?
Looking for about 6" of lift.

Daily driver with trail and rockcrawling thrown in.

Thanks for any input.

K

I would do them in that order: Deaver, National, Alcan.

I am personally going with a 5" National pack. But that is only because Deaver does not have an "off the shelf" 5" pack, and I don't want to pay a grand for them to make me a set. 5" Nationals are $650 a pair, low spring rate 6 leaf pack. Alcans are just to stiff for my tastes......... :lecture:

I've been running the Alcan's specially made for BigOffroad for about two years now. The stroker busted a set of Rusty's the first day out. The Alcan's have held up well to the torque and some pretty good abuse.

old_man said:
I've been running the Alcan's specially made for BigOffroad.
i'm doing the same. i dropped down from BO's 8" pack to their 6" pack. the ride quality is much improved and they have a high cargo weight capacity.
Alcan makes them but you can only get them thru BigOffroad.......$450 plus shipping and a choice between rubber or poly bushings. the rubbers add to the price.

http://www.bigoffroad.com/vendors/bigoffroad/index.htm

Thanks for the input guys.

I've been contacting all three for pricing.

So far, Alcan wants about $390 for a pair with 6 leaves and urethane bushings, another $40 for rubber bushings. National wants about $600 for a pair with 6 leaves, another $50 or so with rubber bushings. And Deaver says theirs will have 8 to 10 leaves but didn't list a price. Maybe they forgot, or maybe they don't want to scare me away. Anyways, I sent another email to them asking again for cost.

All three said it would be about 3 to 4 weeks to make.

I'll post what Deaver says regarding $$$.

K

You can't beat Deaver springs, but not many are running them on non-race XJ's. Having wheeled with plenty of people running Nationals and Alcan's, for an XJ I'd go with the National's every time. National has a good history of making a spring that everyone likes, and they last and work well. The same can't be said for the Alcans, some people like them and some people don't.

Goatman said:
You can't beat Deaver springs, but not many are running them on non-race XJ's. Having wheeled with plenty of people running Nationals and Alcan's, for an XJ I'd go with the National's every time. National has a good history of making a spring that everyone likes, and they last and work well. The same can't be said for the Alcans, some people like them and some people don't.

I was pretty set on Nationals, so that is good to hear. The 5" Pack should match my 5.5" Deaver Coils well................:cheers:

Deaver or National but make sure they shot peen them whichever you go with. Alcan doesn't and I don't like that or their reasoning behind it.

There another place that makes spring for CJ and YJ's and I thought they might be able to make a god XJ pack but can't rememeber the name, something with a H.....

I don't give a damn weather you like Rustys or not but next time one of the above 2 are involved in pising match I will delete the WHOLE thread. Consider all warned. Keep Thread on topic.

Anyways...............

This is what Deaver wrote.

"The coils $250 and the leafs around $800 The prices are high because they are custom two piece run."

Kinda what I expected. Hmmmmmmmm. What to do......

From what I understand, having more leaves allows the manufacturer to use thinner leaves for a "softer" ride and better articulation yet still maintain decent load handling capability.

Now I'm leaning toward either Deaver or National. But are the Deavers worth the extra couple of bills? Any thoughts?

K

Well I have just installed my custom 6" Alcans, and like them so far....I have to still break them in, they are a little stiff. But Tom and Charlie are really a pleasure to deal with when I ordered them... I have used Deaver in the past for Yota leafs and they are really proud of their product... I also like the nationals that were in my old SJ-grand waggy.... But I am still happy with my Alcan purchase...

Clean-RC said:
Well I have just installed my custom 6" Alcans, and like them so far....I have to still break them in, they are a little stiff. But Tom and Charlie are really a pleasure to deal with when I ordered them... I have used Deaver in the past for Yota leafs and they are really proud of their product... I also like the nationals that were in my old SJ-grand waggy.... But I am still happy with my Alcan purchase...

Are you running urethane or rubber bushings? And stock or extended shackles?

K

91 Jeep Project said:
I just dropped $340 for my 5.5" Deaver Coils...........:bunny:

Hmmm. What gives? They probably quote by feel.:laugh3: Or maybe they liked the tone of my emails. OR maybe they're raping me with the leafs so they feel like giving me a deal on the coils.

K

corbinafly said:
Hmmm. What gives? They probably quote by feel.:laugh3: Or maybe they liked the tone of my emails. OR maybe they're raping me with the leafs so they feel like giving me a deal on the coils.

K

Mine aren't even custom, it's an "off the shelf" Deaver Coil. Bought it through an offroad shop in Cali............... :bunny:

91 Jeep Project said:
Mine aren't even custom, it's an "off the shelf" Deaver Coil. Bought it through an offroad shop in Cali............... :bunny:

Pretty decent markup I'd say..

Back