• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 Non HO to HO Head Swap

tetsulo

NAXJA Member #1239
I'm in the process of getting a 4.6 liter stroker for my '90 Jeep Comanche. The builder can offer me either the newer HO head or an original head. I've searched but have been unable to come up with anything conclusive about the swap.

Basically, can I put the 4.0 HO head on the engine, reuse my existing intake manifold and use a 17020 borla instead of the 17010 in a 1990 Jeep Comanche?

I need to let the builder know by Wednesday and would also have to arrange exchanging the borla header.

Thanks in advance!

tetsulo

I've been told that the earlier head does not flow quite as well as the HO, but for a stroker to be used at low rpm's. the early head will give you more torque at low rps. That is what I run on mine and love it.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the non HO head just to keep everything simple. I can hardly wait to take her out for a ride!

tetsulo

What pistons and deck height are you running?

I don't have that information. I am getting the 4.6 liter stroker from Golen Engine Service. One of the reasons I'm going this route is he doesn't want my old motor and there is no core. That means I get to keep a 'spare' :)

You can check out what info he has @

www.golenengineservice.com

I've talked with a number of folks who have used their v8's and have been very pleased, plus he's close enough I get to drive up and pick up the engine when it's ready (I live in Western, MA).

On the specs page for the stroker deck height isn't listed.

Is there a recommendation or should I ask?

tetsulo

Back