• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

258/stroker crank

NCSUcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I got the block back from the machine shop on Friday, so i started to look over all of the parts, getting ready to start assembly and somthing caught me off guard. The crankshaft didn't have a key on it... Of all the stroker sites and threads i have read, i never remember anything about this. It does have 2 slots cut into the snout which i assume would be for keys, but i have never seen keys availible separate either.

I was just wondering if this is normal. It's suposed to be out of an 89- the lightweight version if that matters.

The key is a separate part, and you should always use a new key.

If you get a new harmonic balancer, they come with them sometimes. I really recommend a new HB, since the rubber wears out and routinely causes problems down the line.

If you got a new timing chain it should have come with a half moon shaped key. Mine came with a long and a short. If you had to reuse a part I would NOT reuse the timing chain. Re-install the damper instead. At least you can swap that out later with out taking the timing cover off...

Back