• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oh crap! something broke

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
driving my buddies xj today and the truck starts slowing down... i give it more gas and it just fights it more... finally slowed me down to about 20-30mph, so i pulled over and there is fluid everywhere...

how can i tell if the transfer case siezed up or the tranny gave out?

i figured a tranny would just start slipping and the tcase would sieze... and it felt like something siezed....

any ideas?

4.0 automatic, all stock 180k on the truck

JOe

haha, sorry, should hav ebeen more direct...

trans fluid is ALMOST full and so is the engine oil.... so im suspecting the T-case. front axle is dry but its all wet after that... its not coolant thats for sure...

does this happen often? what could have caused the t-case to blow the fluid everywhere?

JOe

KingOfTheHill said:
haha, sorry, should hav ebeen more direct...

trans fluid is ALMOST full and so is the engine oil.... so im suspecting the T-case. front axle is dry but its all wet after that... its not coolant thats for sure...

does this happen often? what could have caused the t-case to blow the fluid everywhere?

JOe

if its your t-case it WOULD be ATF. There should be some noticeable dmg under there if its that bad...:dunno:

Here's a good check... Smell it! Then compare to various fluids if you don't know the smells already (I can spot the different fluids by scent)

If it is transmission I would check the cooler lines and the front pump seal (behind the torque converter).

Transfer case I wouold check the slip yoke area - especially if it's lifted.

Oil I would suspect the valve cover gasket, oil filter mount o-rings, or rear main (and in that order as well).

Front or Rear axle would be pinion seals or tube seals.

Coolant I would check all hoses, don't forget about the heater hoses!

Sequoia

if you are thinking tc, check the 4x4 shifter inside the cabin if you were driving in 4x4 on hiway:)

Back