• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using a 2WD AX5 to replace a busted 4WD AX5 ... Don't get mad yet...

FlipmodeJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
[accidently posted in OEM Tech]

Hi there again,

How easy would it be to put a 2WD AX5(2.5 I4) into a 4WD XJ(2.5 I4). The 4WD XJ's tranny is busted and I found a 2WD AX5 cheap(200 bux). I need to get the car on the road and would sacrifice the 4WD to do so, for a short time while planning a 4WD conversion..again.

I also have the TC in fine condition, but I don't think I could just bolt it onto the 2WD AX5, could I?

What differences am I looking at here guys? As always I truly appreciate the help.

Flip

PS I would get the 2WD AX5 and 2WD Driveshaft, would this make it practically a "bolt on" situation?

the obivous thing is the rear driveshaft...

Hey there XJ Ranger,

Yeah I realize that. Since the loss of the TC will mean that the 4WD's DS won't be long enough.

As the original post says though, I will get the 2WD AX5 and the 2WD Driveshaft, so would that be a bolt up easy 2WD system or will I need to get the DS cut and welded?

Person who has the 2WD AX5 and 2WD DS says it may bolt up no problem but it may not. I figured there'd be someone here who knew if it would or could link me to a place with measurements of the rear splined shaft's length or whatnot.

I did a search on here and found a guy who did a 2WD to 4WD coversion on a MJ with an AX5 tranny, it seemed that it was straight forward but I don't know the differences in lengths between the MJ and XJ's DS lengths and my google search skills are not coming up with specs.

Is there a reference ya'll use or something? I really need to figure this out. I've got a day or two off where I need to get as much as I can done, then I go back to 12 on 12 off for the next 6 days and will accomplish nothing during that time.

Flip

FlipmodeJeeper said:
Hey there XJ Ranger,

I did a search on here and found a guy who did a 2WD to 4WD coversion on a MJ with an AX5 tranny, it seemed that it was straight forward but I don't know the differences in lengths between the MJ and XJ's DS lengths and my google search skills are not coming up with specs.

Is there a reference ya'll use or something? I really need to figure this out. I've got a day or two off where I need to get as much as I can done, then I go back to 12 on 12 off for the next 6 days and will accomplish nothing during that time.

Flip

I did the conversion on my MJ. The 2WD trans will swap in no problem, but you definately will need the ds. Don't know about XJ's but my MJ 2WD ds was about 9" longer than the 4WD one.
Good luck!
Jeff

edit: You'll also need the 2WD slip yoke from the shaft as well....spline count is different on the 231 output vs. 2WD AX5 output. I still have my old one if you need it....PM me if you do.

You should be able to just swap the 4wd tailhousing onto the 2wd tranny (after pulling the 2wd tail off) and be fine. THat should be the only difference between the 2wd and 4wd trannies is the tailhousing.

Would that it were that easy LOL....you also have to swap the output shafts. The 2WD one is too long. Beender, trieddat......
Jeff

I've been looking at the same question. I have two functional MJs with the AX4 in 2WD flavor, and I have a blown AX5 in 4WD flavor. Looking at the diagrams in the FSM it appears that they are identical internally, except the 4'speed doesn't have any gears in the rear (5th gear) section. It also appears that the 2WD output shaft and tail housing will interchange directly with the 4WD equivalents.

Looks like an easy swap to take your 4WD tail housing and output shaft and swap them into the good tranny. However, I haven't done mine yet so this is speculation.

:repair:

Thanks for the clear and great responses guys.

Jeff,

I really appreciate the info and the offer, I think the fella that has the tranny will toss in the slip yoke, but I'll keep it in mind.

The XJ may be 2wd for a bit due to ease of install, but I'll get it back to 4WD asap :)

Flip

Back