• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer in a 86 XJ?

Yes there is, at least on the 2.5L for sure. It is a Renix setup with a throttle body injection system. If you need one, contact me.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

My old 86 2.8 had one as well.... when the battery was disconnected for too long, I had to "frog hop" it to someone that could set it for me. All I can say is that it was one, wild, ride!

Kejtar

Even my 1984 Cherokee Chief has one, it was controlling the electrical carburator which was in there. The carb is long gone, so the ignition has been modified to bypass the computer alltogether.

Rgds

the only 86 XJ that wouldn't have a computer would be a 48 state 2.8L V6 XJ without the "System Sentry"

ALL other 86 XJs WILL have a "computer" of some sort.

Here is the deal

California models have a computer that controls the electronic version of the Rochester carburetor, this thing has direct influence as to how the vehicle will run at all times.

The rest of the 2.8s do not have any engine control management computers. There are electronics scattered here and there, but unless you call the ignition module or system sentry a computer then the answer is no.

XJguy

Back