• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ 4.0L Will not start

Vancouverite

NAXJA Forum User
I have 88 XJ with a 99 straight six engine. About 1.5 years ago I decided to park it. Yea when gas prices started going through the roof. I've been starting it at least once evey two weeks. Untill about two months ago it decided to quit.
This weekend I tried to find what was up. I have fuel pressure, engine turns over.
I traced the problem to the lack of sparks. I checked the ignition coil according to my Haynes manual. It's fine.
The coil plugs into a base. I'm not sure what the base is or does nor how to check if it works ok. Any suggestions on what I should do? Am I going the right way here?

Most common no-start cause is a bad connection to the CPS. Most folks replace it but it's easier and cheaper to clean the contacts in the connector.

Whats the CPS?
If it's the base that the ignition coil plugs into... I've already cleaned all of the terminals.

Oh... crankshaft position sensor. K i'll giver a try.

Last edited:
Alright, I've read over every single no-start post on this site tried everything... still no start.

The frame and the engine are properly grounded.

I measured my CPS resitance at 194 OHMs which is within specs (200 Ohms +- 75)

Proper voltage on the MAP sensor.

Ignition coil checks out fine.

About a year ago, I've had some problems with my clutch master leaking fluid onto by fuse box. I cleaned everything off best I could, replaced all the fuses... Is there anything ignition related going through the fuse box that might be corroded that would prevent it from starting?

Also,
I noticed a crack on the bottom of the ignition module. It is in the rubber encapsulating the wires. According to my Haynes manual, the ignition module can not be tested unless you go to the dealer. They apparently have the equipment to do a proper test. I will try this next I think.

Any suggestions?

Found the problem.

Having checked my ignition coil (per my Haynes manual), I was leaning towards a faulty ignition module.
I borrowed one of my co-worcers ignition coil / module assembly. The thing fired up no problem. I kept swapping the items coil and module untill I pinpointed the coil, not the module. Bought a new coil, it's running fine.

I went through every resistance, continuity test that the Haynes manual lists.
All of them checked out 100% and still it was the faulty component.

Lesson learned, don't trust the manual, use it as a guide.

So there.

Back