• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GoodYear Wrangler AT/D2

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Have any of you guys tried these yet, one of the local Sam's Club has them in 235/75/R15 x2 (have not clue what the x2 stand for). I was thinking either that size or seeing if they can get the 235/70/R15 s2. The 75's have a slightly higher load capacity (2183lbs@41psi vs 1895lbs@35psi) and are about .9" larger (28.9" vs 28.0"), but the 70's are .2" wider (9.3" vs 9.5" overal width.) By the looks of them, the tires should do anything but mud well, and offer decent on road handling and ride.

I was looking at them in 30" and 31". Seemed to be a decent price when you bought the 4 pack. Tread looked OK for dry stuff and on road but no idea how they work on wet roads which to me is important as thats the major 'road hazard' you deal with a pretty good percentage of the time...

I asked dad about that, he felt that there was enough area in the center to move water and snow out, but didn't think they'd do too well in mud. The only problem I had was that they sounded like a rejected Star Wars character to me :)

I don't know what the D2 is, but I had a set of the AT/S's on an S-10 when they 1st came out. Good on the street, real good in the winter (snow, slush, ice), pretty good off-road. They cleaned out well, but they just couldn't paddle through the thick stuff like my old Wrangler M/T's (the directional ones).

My $0.02...

prb24 said:
I don't know what the D2 is, but I had a set of the AT/S's on an S-10 when they 1st came out. Good on the street, real good in the winter (snow, slush, ice), pretty good off-road. They cleaned out well, but they just couldn't paddle through the thick stuff like my old Wrangler M/T's (the directional ones).

My $0.02...

i will second the AT/Ss (best tire ive ever owned).. i havent looked at the D2s yet but i liked the AT/D though.. i thought it was a higher load range than what i wanted at the time though.. if you get em let us know what you think.

Goodyear makes the tires for Sams - they have there own lettering just like the tires they make for Walmart - same deal - by looking at the lettering you can tell that they are a Sams or Walmart tire. That would not keep me from buying them.

Charles

wcbuyer said:
Goodyear makes the tires for Sams - they have there own lettering just like the tires they make for Walmart - same deal - by looking at the lettering you can tell that they are a Sams or Walmart tire. That would not keep me from buying them.

Charles

So is the tread or anything else different? Or, is just the lettering different to make them appear to be a different tire?

I liked the one's I had, although they seemed to wear out quick. I think they may have straightened that out though, because my brother had a set that wore pretty well.

When I talked to Goodyear about the tires they said they made them for Sams and Walmart to there (Sams & Walmart) specs. Goodyear would not say if they were the same tire or not. Sams and Walmart offer a 50K mile rating and Goodyear does not - if memory serves me correctly. I will be looking at the Walmart tires in a few months. I don't really like Walmart but they are everywhere so that will be a selling point for me.

Charles

That's some of the reason I was looking there, I can find them just about anywhere if we have a blowout on the road. I'm even considering a matching spare rim to mount a fifth tire on. Right now the spare is on a 15x7 5 spoke steel rim and matches the current tires which will be a little small compaired to what I'm planning on getting.

Back