• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light disconnect

jeepbme

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know where or if there is a check engine light plug that i could discon on my 97 to keep it from coming on in the future?

Thx in advance

Why would you want to disconnect that light? After all, it comes on to tell you something in the engine control system is FAILING. Why would you NOT want to know when something is failing?

Right....brought my xj about 6mths ago and i have a idea that the previous owner may have done that.

It doesnt glow when the key is turned to the on position.

Oh and good observation. I wasnt sure what that light was used for :)

jeepbme said:
It doesnt glow when the key is turned to the on position.

Hmm.. That alone fails NCSI IM.

jeepbme said:
dont be a dork bottle

Most places that require OBDII inspections will indeed check that, as well as the operation of the OBD port, and it will fail if it isn't working or if there's a code. The inspectors doing this may be dorks, but not the person pointing it out to you.

along with the person bringing it up again.

My question wasnt when i take my jeep in to get it safety expected will they check for this " major problem", it was where is the cable location for the "C E LIGHT".

Okay. Instead of trying to help you avoid potential problems, I will do as you request and respond directly to your question:

(a) I have no idea

(b) I suggest you buy a factory service manual, in which you can find the information you seek, in the privacy of your own home and without copping an attitude toward people who are trying to HELP you.

jeepbme said:
thanks... that sounds like a great idea
How to stop the light from being on? Figure out what the problem is and then fix it.
While in the older jeeps you had the maintenance required light which was something you could ignore, in the newer ones it ussually indicates that something is either bad or going bad. Yeah you could cut the wire and forget about the light, but the day that you're going to be someplace on the trail and it won't start again cause a neglected component failed you're going to be kicking yourself.

thanks i got it.

There is no light on, so there is no part to fix.

Just needed the location of the wire or harness itself.

Eagle gave me some great advice.

Thanks!

Back