• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New leaf packs?

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
I think this must be what y'all are callin' "sagging leaf packs."

I'm thinking - screw it. Bite the bullet and ante up for all new leaf packs. Would you really trust that main leaf as the anchor for a custom pack? It looks scary to me.

And the damn heep is totally empty for this picture. Just a half tank of gas - that's it! I don't know. It needs new dampers all around anyway, plus new bushings all around. Used packs are cheap. At stock, it's only got 4 leaves a side. Maybe building it up to 5 or 6 leaves using salvage stock XJ leaves would be ok for this DD. I'm not planning to lift this one. I just want decent handling and a little less wrap.

Anyway. Let me know what you think.

XJ Dreamin"
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, 8.25(open), LT 235/75R15 A/T's

I think you need to measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the bottom edge of the flare and post what that dimension is. That's the frame of reference, not visuals.

Eagle said:
I think you need to measure from the center of the wheel straight up to the bottom edge of the flare and post what that dimension is. That's the frame of reference, not visuals.

It's about 17", but really - doesn't an upward arc like that make you wonder about micro-fractures weakening the springs (or at least wonder about a bent leaf)?

Hey! While we're on the subject of rear-ends - kinda - does the ABS = d35/nonABS = 8.25 apply to 1993? This thing has an 8.25 but I was thinking d35 for a long time because I knew, except for the few ca.'87 d44's, it was d35's until the ABS/non-ABS "modern" era. Anyway, it is most definitely an 8.25 and the rig most certainly is not ABS equiped. I'm just a little embarrassed at being caught in such a dumb assumption for so long. I was thinking it must be a d35 cause I wasn't thinking ABS in '93. Now I have to repeat all of that research, except for 8.25 now instead of d35.

c'est la vie.

Thanks anyway. I'll take some more percise measurements this weekend.

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, ChryCo 8.25(open), LT 235/75R15 A?T's

XJ Dreamin' said:
It's about 17", but really - doesn't an upward arc like that make you wonder about micro-fractures weakening the springs (or at least wonder about a bent leaf)?

At stock height, the leaf is about straight or even bent up a little. If you really want new packs, Quadratec has "heavy duty" ones for about $70 a pop.

17" is what it's supposed to be.

I'm at 17.5 with new quadratec 'heavy duty'.
Funny thing they appeared to be exactly the same
spring as the originals (96 sport) when set side by side off the car.
(6 inch free arch). It seems possable that the sport model
had 'heavy duty' springs standard. (standard duty OEM springs have much less free arch).

So now if a 6 inch arch goes just about flat I have to think a
standard light duty spring must normally sit with a negative arch..

Eagle said:
17" is what it's supposed to be.

All right...but I still need an excuse to do something to it. I mean, I've got to replace the shocks all 'round any way, but sagging springs is my justification for building custom packs.

If someone would respond:

"OH MY GOD!! DO SOMETHING ABOUT THOSE SPRINGS YOU DOPE!"

I could print that out to take to my loan officer :laugh3: .

Help me out here guys.

XJ Dreamin'

What about needing additional capacity because you usually carry spare parts and tools in the back, plus hauling the luggage on a vacation trip without putting the bumpstops on the axle?

Eagle said:
What about needing additional capacity because you usually carry spare parts and tools in the back, plus hauling the luggage on a vacation trip without putting the bumpstops on the axle?

Nice try, Eagle. If payload alone were the key, then I could just plead lugging my fat ass around every day :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: It's already busted my driver's seat down to the point that I'm hanging on to the stearing wheel by my fingernails.

Thanks anyway, Eagle. I'm thinking I'll try a #2 XJ leaf cut down to fit between the #2 and #3. Just to add a little stiffness without lifting it much. It'll need new shocks in any case.

XJ Dreamin'

Oh man! I pulled up behind a Tacoma with lift blocks the other day. When the light turned green I would have sworn the rear axle of that thing was going to spin all the way around. I swear it did rotate at least 5 degrees. That was scary!

Damn!. They look like mine are!. Mine is presently sagging about 2" from stock. I'm not able to afford the lift I want until probably late next year, so have been toying with doing an AAL as a temp solution until then. Been trying to search what route I should go, but not being too successful.
Biggest question I have is should I just add one leaf? or should I add two? What's the difference, and in my situation which will suit my needs? I'd like to get it up at least 2.5" from where it is right now. [Been quoted a price of $160CN, $200CN if I do two leaves per side}
For those of you that know about this kinda of thing, what do you suggest?

Back