• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Issue

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 97XJ had 195,000 miles on it when I had a bunch of stuff done to it at the dealer.

One problem was that I heard a knocking sound from drivers side/underside of the engine. Turns out to have been the thrust bearings.

I had all the main bearings replaced, and the oil pump, water pump, main seal, and chain while we were at it.

Now my pressure runs 42psi at highway speeds where it used to run 60-65psi at highway speeds. I am concerned about the pressure drop at the higher speeds.

Funny thing is that when the engine is cold in the morning, it has 42psi at idle, then drops to 15ish at hot engine temperature idle.

Never tops 42psi at any speed even 80MPH.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

Spec is 13 at idle so you are within spec. I would have expected an increase in pressure with new bearings though. Did you recently use a different filter or oil? If so what kind/weight.

jeepguy97 said:
Spec is 13 at idle so you are within spec. I would have expected an increase in pressure with new bearings though. Did you recently use a different filter or oil? If so what kind/weight.

The dealership put in a Chrysler filter and 5/30 oil when they did all the work.
I figured the light oil was break-in weight so I went 3,000 miles.
Then I had oil changed at my regular place which used the same oil filter and 10/30 oil that was used in my engine for a couple of years.

I think there may be a problem, so I appreciate any more comments.

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

Back