• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 strength?

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a C8.25 29 spline open rear in my jeep. Will running 32s and a no slip locker in it be ok. Basically, is the axle strong enough to handle it? I rarely do any serious rockcrawling just some good size hills and mud, rivers, stuff like that.

Stock 3.55

J98cherokee said:
Ive got a C8.25 29 spline open rear in my jeep. Will running 32s and a no slip locker in it be ok. Basically, is the axle strong enough to handle it? I rarely do any serious rockcrawling just some good size hills and mud, rivers, stuff like that.

Stock 3.55

yes

With the 27 spline youd be alright. With your 29 pline shafts, you'll be even better. the 29 spline 8.25 can easily handle 32s and a no-slip, as long as you dont have a led foot and go crazy on everything.

i've got a buddy who has used a 27 spline unit in his duster behind a very healthy 360 w/a factory suregrip and he's never had a problem. yet. he's run it for about 15yrs. now.
he pulls axles every winter and checks bearings,diff etc...
but then again, he does routine maintenance so that probably helps.

I run 35s on a 27 spline locked and have yet to break a shaft, although this has suprised me. The yoke is a diffrent story. I am very easy on it when possible.

X Factor said:
i've got a buddy who has used a 27 spline unit in his duster behind a very healthy 360 w/a factory suregrip and he's never had a problem. yet. he's run it for about 15yrs. now.
he pulls axles every winter and checks bearings,diff etc...
but then again, he does routine maintenance so that probably helps.

Gigantic case in point that these 'omgitsnota44' goofballs need to realize. I've had them in Mopars with 318s and 360s for years with the SG differentials. With as many powerbraking trips I've taken you'd think I would have done at least SOME damage...

The 8.25 is pretty beefy, we grabbed one and are in the process of putting new perches on it for a neighbors TJ who blew is 35 big time. Local yards want big bucks for a 44 around here but thats nothing new, they tie used jeep prices to the barrel of oil futures too. Of course he's also looking at 60's and a fully built 44 from currie also has caught his eye.

Back