• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Switch Adjustability?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Is the brake switch in my 88 Mj adjustable?

Seems two days ago, with moderate pedal pressure, I'd have brake lights. Then, I noticed yesterday driving home, I had to stomp on the brakes to get the lights on. I jiggled it around today, and was able to get back to only moderate pressure on the brake pedal for lights again.

What's the deal?

So is mine just hammered then, or what?

And, are they still available at kragens, or pep boys, or should I go in there with a welder and convert it to a more "normal" switch?

I've replaced the one on my 90(brand new switch) and it seems that they only work part of the time until I push the switch up manually and the lights will work for another few days and I'll have to do it again. Its frustrating as all get out. I'll be checking back on this too to see if anyone has any sweet advice.

Oh BTW and in case you cared...the 91+ brake light switches are adjustable but ours aren't.

Paul- Was yours doing this? Is that why you replaced it?

And, Collin- you pushed the portion of the switch furtherest away from the pedal up? I think that's what I ended up doing.

Mine was working exactly as you've described and replacement was the solution. I noticed it when the cruise control wouldn't disengage unless I jabbed the brakes pretty hard.

PaulJ said:
Mine was working exactly as you've described and replacement was the solution. I noticed it when the cruise control wouldn't disengage unless I jabbed the brakes pretty hard.

On my high-mile '89 XJ I shortened the spring inside the switch enough to compensate for the advanced age/miles. The trick is to leave just enough spring pressure to support the weight of the pedal without activating the switch plunger. Take it apart and you'll see how it fits together and works. Worst case is that you'll need a new switch and your brake lights are screwed anyway. Not much to lose by an agricultural repair attempt.

I ended up going and getting a new switch, then taking the old one off to look at.

It looks like there is a plastic part which is depressed by a brass part, which is depressed by the booster shaft. Well, on mine, the plastic part was worn down.

I ended up just putting in the new switch, and now, so far, I have brake lights.

over2land said:
And, Collin- you pushed the portion of the switch furtherest away from the pedal up? I think that's what I ended up doing.

Yeah thats what I did. I have no idea what the problem with mine is but maybe its time for a new one again. Good thing its Borg Warner with a lifetime warranty. Glad you got her fixed.

heh, yeah that is cool.

I don't have a life time warranty. But I have brake lights, and on these freeways that's a big deal. I got tired of watching people panic stopping behind me.

for those of you whom have done the switch replacement on XJ's, any idea what napa part number i'm looking for for my '90 XJ? i'm pretty much having the exact same problem everyone had described here.

thanks!,
-g

gba said:
for those of you whom have done the switch replacement on XJ's, any idea what napa part number i'm looking for for my '90 XJ? i'm pretty much having the exact same problem everyone had described here.

thanks!,
-g

ECHSL179 w/o cruise control
ECHSL183 w/cruise control
MPESL183SB also w/cruise control

over2land said:
heh, yeah that is cool.

I don't have a life time warranty. But I have brake lights, and on these freeways that's a big deal. I got tired of watching people panic stopping behind me.

ROFL...I think I would too!

CollinM, you said the 91+ XJs have adjustable switches...how do tehy adjust? Might be useful info in the future.

it's a totally diff't world.

They screw into a stationary mount, and you adjust the distance between the switch and the pedal. the switch is pbnc, so when the pedal is at rest, the circuit is open.

over2land said:
it's a totally diff't world.

They screw into a stationary mount, and you adjust the distance between the switch and the pedal. the switch is pbnc, so when the pedal is at rest, the circuit is open.

Thanks for answering the question for me because I have no idea, just know they are.

All the later ones are self adjusting from 91-01. The earlier ones the switch was ribbed and slid into a spring clip, later ones have a ribbed inner plunger that slides into an outer plunger for self adjustment.

Back