• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FWD Slipped out temp.

Creighton

NAXJA Forum User
Did a quick search with no results (mainly because I don't know all the acronyms and 4wd terminology probably).

Got a 3.5" RE ride lift and 31x10.50s. Been feeling slight vibrations from the tcase whenever i let off the gas. I did notice that the handle for 4wd sometimes vibrated and made noise at idle when not in 2wd and would go away when i just touched it or moved it slightly. I got the tcase drop and plan on putting it on today or tommorrow. But the question is I on the beach yesterday (ive driven on the beach tons of times w/ no problems) and yesterday I was in low (pretty damn soft/deep spot by my house) and i had 2 friends with me and i heard a thud and fwd was gone. Stopd... put it in neutral and put it into hi. It worked for a few seconds and then a thud again and no fwd. Was like screw it, went surfing and got a guy to yank me cuse the rear had dug a bit. When he did this all the sudden my 4wd worked flawlessly again.

Any ideas? I'm dropping it off tonight to get it looked at, would be nice if i could point the guys in a direction maybe.

thanks,
Creighton

Last edited:
Sounds like your t-case linkage or more likely the rubber in the rear tranny mount is toast. That, in conjuction with a bad motor mount or two, will allow the engine/trans/TC to wallow around under the jeep, especially under heavy throttle, like when driving in deep sand. The TC linkage is attached to the body at the top end and the TC. If the TC moves around too much in relation to the body it will shift on its own. I'd check all of the motor/trans mounts and the t-case linkage.

Creighton said:
Did a quick search with no results (mainly because I don't know all the acronyms and 4wd terminology probably).

Got a 3.5" RE ride lift and 31x10.50s. Been feeling slight vibrations from the tcase whenever i let off the gas. I did notice that the handle for 4wd sometimes vibrated and made noise at idle when not in 2wd and would go away when i just touched it or moved it slightly. I got the tcase drop and plan on putting it on today or tommorrow. But the question is I on the beach yesterday (ive driven on the beach tons of times w/ no problems) and yesterday I was in low (pretty damn soft/deep spot by my house) and i had 2 friends with me and i heard a thud and fwd was gone. Stopd... put it in neutral and put it into hi. It worked for a few seconds and then a thud again and no fwd. Was like screw it, went surfing and got a guy to yank me cuse the rear had dug a bit. When he did this all the sudden my 4wd worked flawlessly again.

Any ideas? I'm dropping it off tonight to get it looked at, would be nice if i could point the guys in a direction maybe.

thanks,
Creighton

vibrations -
Check your u-joints
pull your front shaft and drive around - then you know if it is front or back
check wheel bearings and seals (sand eats them)

queer 4x4 system -
drain and replace the tranny fluid as well as t-case fluid
check the x-fer case linkage, it may have come loose

posting on NAXJA -
realize what is oem tech and that even though you have a lift, your engine is still stock

Back