• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5 Speed Towing

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
I know this question has been touched on to some degree before, but how much weight have some of you towed with your 5 speeds? How well does it handle? My 96 sport is in great shape only 80k and I am looking at getting a 17' boat this summer with total towing weight a little under 3,000. Most of the trips would be short under 30 miles, but I would like to be able to trust the Jeep for 4hr trips to Lake George this summer.

Towing is not the problem, braking is the problem. The auto tranny XJ is rated for 5,000lbs, I *think* the rating on the manual XJ was limited to 1500 because Jeep/chrysler did not want to be responsible for poor drivers who have no idea how to really use a clutch. I had an 82 S-10 2.8L V6, added a 2" class III and towed a few 17 and even a couple of 20ft boats with no problem and that had 2:82 gears. Your are probably 3:07's and while it should be no problem you might want to consider regearing to 3:53's....unless you are really good with a clutch...

I towed a '94 celica on a lowboy trailer for about 20 miles. 5spd, 4.0. Towed just fine. Just drive like a granny, stay in the slow lane, leave llllooooottttsss of room for stopping and keep it under 65. The celica probably weighed in at 3200 and the trailer maybe 1000lbs.

3,000 lbs. shouldn't be a problem. I've got a 2,200 lb. pop-up camper that I've towed from Chicago to Moab 3 times with a 5spd.

In stock form, you'll have a little trouble with the 3.07 gears, though.

Rich is right, for the biggest thing: brakes. I'd strongly suggest that the trailer have brakes, electric, surge, SOMETHING!

Thanks guys. I figured that brakes would be the biggest concern. If this whole goes through trailer brakes will be mandatory. Lucky for me the ole Jeeps rear springs are riding 18' so I won't have to worry about draggin the muffler

I towed an XJ on a car hauler intended for a MUCH larger vehicle from MA to CT with a 5-speed MJ. Brakes were definately the major concern. The chassis will haul the weight.

What's the business with the clutch? I tow occasionally and haven't heard of that. RichP - enlighten us!

Your tranny will get a little warm, and make sure you're never under 2000 revs, but you should do fine. I've pulled horses behind mine without any prob, although I have heard of large trailers snaking, so ensure you're balanced right, your brakes are good and your cooling system's working fine and you'll be OK.

Alot of people just have no idea how to really use a clutch. I used to have to teach newbies coming into the fist section how to drive both the 1/4 ton M151's and the 2 1/2 and 5 tons that had sticks. Needless to say I was not the most popular person in the motor pool. Alot of kids and even adults have never been around sticks, me I grew up with them, my dad had a 53 ford sunliner, 6 w/3speed on the colum. I have ony ever in my life bought ONE auto tranny in a dodge van. Alot of people just can't learn the trick of how to correclty slip a clutch w/o cooking it, hence the factory not supplying 2" class III receviers on 5 speed XJ's, only 1.5" ones. They did not want people towing heavy loads and have to replace clutches under warranty.
My two kids on the other hand learned on my XJ and both drive sticks in their TJ's... My daughters comment was 'why would you want an automatic, sticks give you something to do and allow you more control on ice and snow', not my words either, hers... Plus her non stick driving boyfriends and her girlfriends are awed that she can drive a stick and they can't....

That makes sense to me Rich, thanks again. The reason I was initially hesitant to tow with the 5 speed is due to the fact that the tranny mount on my old 89 laredo 5 speed sheared off when I was towing next to nothing. The ax-15 is such a better set up though that I am not concerned with that happening again. As for cooking a clutch, my girlfriend is pretty good at that when I attempt to show her how to drive one.....,not on the Jeep though

I tow a 17.5 ft fish and ski with a mercruiser 165 regularly. I have 4.10 gears and 33s plus the 5 speed. Sometimes I wish for 4.56s while towing but I have never had overheating or tranny issues. Once again the brakes are the problem. I will be adding rear disks soon.

BA

This is a good thread - a vindication for me. One of the reasons why I bought this thing (94 2-door 5-speed 4.0) was to tow a small autocross or rally car on a dolly around Western Canada (around a 2000 lbs load) and also to tow my wife's horse short distances (again around 2000 lbs w trailer).

I thought towing capacity had more to do with chassis strength and engine power and the Jeep has loads of both whether it's 5-speed or auto. I think the explanation for the low official towing capacity of the 5-speed as the factory covering its butt is a plausible one. I, for one, intend to tow away later this summer. I'll keep in mind the brakes tip though - hadn't thought of that.

Cheers,
Rian

Also keep in mind that the stock differential gearing for 5-spds is really too high. I would recommend changing gears for towing even if you don't change tires. My weekend, hunting, camping, go-to-the-mountains Jeep is my wife's daily driver. As such, it will never have larger tires than the 235/75r15's that are on it right now. Regardless, I swapped the 3.07 gears for 3.55s and I am MUCH happier!

Back