• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need A/C ??

Mudskipper

NAXJA Forum User
My A/C compressor is making a whining sound. Can I just get rid of it? Is it a vital part of the vehicle because I don't need a/c. Do they make a belt for XJ's without a/c?

First off, what year and how many miles??

Is it a high pitched whining-screeching sound? or more like a low-pitched whining-moaning kinda sound? If it's the latter, then I would say that it's probably normal. Mine has made the moaning noise ever since I've had it, and all is still well after 46,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. Seems to be a bit louder when it's warm/hot out. I think it may be a characteristic of Sanden compressors, not really sure though...

If it's a noise thats gotten progressively worse, then I would say that the pump may indeed be on it's way out. Also, it could be that the freon charge isn't correct or that it's lacking the necessary amount of oil in the system too.

Let's try and diagnose it before condemning the pump...

I'm not sure about later models, but earlier XJ's without AC have an extra idler pulley that mounts in place of the compressor. That pulley is rather hard to find, and expensive to buy. Unless your compressor clutch bearing itself is bad, and whining when the AC is off, the easiest solution is to leave the compressor in and let it be the idler. It does no harm in there, except for a little extra weight. This is the best solution if you contemplate ever selling the Jeep, since others might want to have the AC all there, even if it needs repair. Or, of course, you could yank out the plumbing and the condenser if it's empty anyway, and use the compressor for onboard air.

If there is still refrigerant in it and it whines when it runs on AC, and it bothers you when you run the defrost, just yank off one of the wires on the pressure switch that's mounted on your receiver-drier. It will think the system is empty, and the compressor won't run.

This is, of course, assuming that you don't care to fix it. It might be worth looking into that option first, if it turns out just to need a can of R-134 or some oil.

It's not a critical part so if you wished you do without. You could replace it with a regular pulley or just leave it. I just left mine, I'm lazy!

Sarge

I just installed A/C into my Comanche for the first time and removed the non A/C pully. Its not real complicated but if you would like it send me a PM.

Back