• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Packing for off-road trip

Lynn

NAXJA Forum User
Chris has had my XJ for three weeks now trying to diagnose the relay problem with no luck. So I'm just gonna use it on weekends and forget the idea of having it as my daily driver for the time being. So now it's time to start planning for a trip to Tellico in October that I'm going on. Other than plenty of spare relays, what else should I pack? I've got a tie-rod, u-joints and a repair kit for the ARB lockers. What other parts would be wise to gather for the trip? I was thinking driveshafts and other parts from the front steering. Any tips from the long-distance travelers out there?

The single most important tip I can give you is: make sure whatever jack/lug wrench you use to change tires is easily accessible after you're packed up!

I know this sounds like an obvious one, but when I got a flat in the middle of Glenwood Canyon on I70 several years ago, I had to unload my whole, blasted, chock-full XJ to get at the tools under the rear seat (which was folded down). My spare was on the roof, but didn't even think about the jack when I packed. My Hi-lift was accessible, but not the bumper attachment either! That was a real thrilling tire change - I70 was still under construction through the canyon - 2 lanes - no shoulders - semi's rolling by 3 inches away . . . .!!!

Other than the other obvious things - u-joints are nice, but, if you can afford the luxury, u-joints already on spare axle shafts is even better. A length of radiator hose, and some clamps. Critical fluids (oil, coolant, gear oil, even some good old water). Roll of shop towels, mechanic's gloves, old blanket - you'd be surprised how simple things like that make a roadside repair not so grueling. While a full tool box is nice to have when you get to where you're going, I take the more common sizes of wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, duct tape, wire ties, etc. and put them in a separate bag for easy retrieval/use on the highway.

And, finally, a good portable light (battery or plug in) that can be positioned w/o having to hold it in your hand.

Enjoy your ride, I'll be headed to Utah again in a couple of weeks and if I do something else stupid :oops:, I'll let CHW know so he can post a warning!

Mike in NJ

Driveshafts are a good idea if you have the space, or you can carry spare u-joints and one of those portable presses. It's a lot easier to have a full driveshaft, but a lot lighter and smaller just to carry the u-joints and press.

Definitely fluids. Do you have an SYE on the XJ? If not, have something to seal off the rear t-case output in the event of a need to run on the front drive alone.

I always carry a tool kit, and every time I need it I find that I have everything except the one tool or socket or torx bit that I need, so the kit grows after every trip.

I don't remember what year your XJ is. If it's newer, beware of a little DCX trick. I recently took the 2000 across the country to Yellowstone. I had an electrical gremlin on the way out. Trouble-shooting proved to be impossible because the panel covering the inside fuse box said the fuse diagram was in the owner's manual. The owner's manual said it was inside the cover for the fuse box. It's actually in the FSM -- which I didn't have with me. Carry fuses and relays, but be sure you have a diagram that tells you what each one is for.

tie stuff down. you wouldnt want a highlift jack to hit you in the back of the head in a collision.or a toolbox to crack you in a rollover.

My spare "stuff" pile usually consists of:

Water pump/fuel pump
Water hoses
Hard Brake lines/bender/flare tool
Assembled Fr axle shafts (each side)
Axle/DS U-Joints
Tie Rod w/ends
Drag Link w/ends
U-Bolts & Centering Pins
Tire Plug Kit w/Lots of plugs
Fluids for complete oil/trans/radiator/diff/t-case change
JB-Weld/Duct Tape/RTV
Fuses/Relays/Spare Wire & connectors
8"x18"x1/8" Steel Plate (portable work bench)
Spare Tire (Inflated to road pressure)
Flash Light w/Spare Batteries
FM Radio(s) & CB (w/spare mic)
Floor Jack/Come-Along/Tools/Rags/Misc Bolts/Nuts/Washers
6"x6" wood blocks
30" Pry Bar
Current First Aid Kit
Blanket/Jacket/Tarp/Rain Gear
Camping Chair (when all else fails, for waiting for AAA)

I love the XJ for all it's cargo room!!!

Dont froget about front wheel bearing units. If one locks up it sucks big time. U-Joint straps and bolts are also good spares because they take up little space.

PeterBuilt

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've got a pair of front wheel bearings left over from my 97 TJ. Will they work on a 96 XJ?

I'll probably pack an extra tire/wheel on the roof rack, at least have it along at the cabin in case I if I go through my first spare. Definitely need to do a better job of securing items down. Seems like every time there's an XJ gathering down there, someone rolls. I'll be going down with about 15 or so Jeeps for a whole week. Any trail recommendations for a 3" lifted 31" XJ with ARB lockers? Or better yet, trails I should avoid at all costs? I was there about 5 years ago as a spectator. I remember what guardrail and helicopter looks like, I think that might be one to avoid.

As far as I know, the TJ bearings should work just fine on your XJ. Make sure everything is securely tied down, and when you are actually wheeling you may want to carry less heavy stuff on the roof rack thereby lowering your center of gravity. Be careful in off-camber situations, and have fun.

I just got back from Rodney's jeep junkyard in York, PA. This is not a regular "pick and pull", he's got a building full of parts, kept out of the weather, and a small field of jeeps of all kinds. He pulls the parts for you. I got the following items:

front and rear driveshafts (with the u-joints attached)
rear axleshafts for my 87 Dana 44
front axleshafts with the outer stubs attached
front steering linkage (I got two of these)

All the parts were rust-free and oiled. He doesn't keep the stuff outside to get rusty like other places I've been to.

I got a bunch of relays too. He had all the above parts in stock, but we had to go around the field of jeeps looking for relays. Most of them did not have the same size relay box my 96 has. We found a Grand that had the same size and I got 7 relays out of it.

Now I'm set to go break stuff.

[quote:e0e93fea9d="Lynn"]Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've got a pair of front wheel bearings left over from my 97 TJ. Will they work on a 96 XJ?

[/quote:e0e93fea9d]

Unless you pack a different set of rotors, or a 3/16" spacer to go behind the rotors, those TJ hubs are NOT going to work for you. The depth of the hubs themselves is the problem. All the hubs used on the low-pinion d30 housings are shorter (they don't stick out as far from the spindle)

You're much better off getting the RIGHT hubs for your jeep. Trust me, not fun... not fun.

Back