• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS bypass.. long story

Fudd

NAXJA Forum User
OK first things first I have an 87 XJ that came with a 4.0 and auto, I swapped in 4.0 and 5spd from an 89 XJ. I have to bypass the NSS now, all the threads I've found talk of grounding the wire coming from the NSS. As I didn't take the time to trace back the wires on my auto tranny can anyone tell me which wire that is on the harness plug? Also, anyone who's done this swap, How did you get your backup lights to work? I haven't really started troubleshooting that issue yet, spending all my time on the NSS blah.

I believe on mine if you are standing on the passenger side of the rig, on the starter relay it is the bottom-most bolt on the side towards the fron of the vehicle. I found that out on accident while I was testing to see why the starter wouldn't work.

here's the chunk from the FSM (mines and 88 but I believe they are still very close). The wire next to the 'A' in the diagram is the one to ground.
jeep-66.jpg

On the manual transmission, the backup light switch should be located somewhere on the transmission. It screws into the side somewhere, like a plug. It's likely still there, since without it your transmission would have a hole in it that would leak. It may have terminals on it or it may have a wire pigtail with a connector, depending on the transmission you have. On an AX-15 it's on the passenger side, but it appears from the drawings I've seen that AX 5's and BA 10's have it on the left hand side.

Back