• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35in Tires w/6.5?

ih800

NAXJA Forum User
With 3in lift in suspention and at least 3.5 in trimmings would 35in tyres fit??
can some one post a photo of a xj w/35's

ya but it wont be very pleasing to the eye and travel will be limited, id run at least 4.5 inches of lift and trim as much as you can, but then again cheapxj ran 36s on a 3 inch lift and flexed it. i dont know to each his own. of course you gotta remeber all the other fun stuff that you gotta do when you get 35s like swap out your stock axles and re gear. try 32s or 33s for now, you will probably end up regreting 35s, i rushed into 35s and ended up standed in the hills with breakage cause i couldnt wait. besides 35s look cooler with the right amount of lift anyways, and also this is a topic best suited for mod tech man.

Not even remotely.
They won't fit.
You have to have 8" of lift.
At least 6" in suspension lift and 2" of trimmings.

Okie Terry said:
Not even remotely.
They won't fit.
You have to have 8" of lift.
At least 6" in suspension lift and 2" of trimmings.

Really? I've seen 3 xj's in the last month with 4.5" lift and 35's.

Aggressive trimming, bumpstops.

xXJx said:
.... but then again cheapxj ran 36s on a 3 inch lift and flexed it.
he cut out and reconstructed the wheel tubs in the rear... and the only flex he got was downward travel...

anything "can" be done... it's just a matter of how much you want to cut/fab/alter/modify the rest of the sysytems and body....

IMHO "fit" means there is very litle non-destructive rubbing anywhere and NO hard contact with anything like the LCAs and such.... running big bumpstops to pretty much limit most or all or your suspension uptravel defeates the entire purpose of modifying you rig unless you're a mall wheeler...
to run 35s with a full usable amount of suspension travel/flex you really need to get 7+" of lift....

here's an example of a well set up rig on 35s.... 8" lift and stil a lil contact with the rear fenders...

standard

7"s+, you gotta be crazy. minimum i would run is 5" with plenty of cutting. you would have enough clearance and still have a fair amount of travel with low center of gravity. you could run less, but it would not be very functional

6.5" of lift with 36's. fits on the street with no rubbing. still need to trim it so i can wheel it though.
97xj015.jpg

There is a lot more to it than lift #'s and tire size.

You also have to consider your total width when determining your desired lift height. Running stock axles your width is fairly narrow so it would probably be better to keep the lift low, cut more and sacrifice some uptravel for off-camber stability. If you running full width axles you can afford to go higher while maintaining the same off-camber stability which will allow you to have more upwards travel in your suspension.

By the way....since when is fender well trimming and cutting contributing to lift height???? A lift is a lift, cutting your fenders does not equal more lift. The true wheeler will have his fenders cut enough to fit his desired tire size giving maximum suspension movment...it's a matter of tire size not lift.

That being said I think a true 6.5" of suspension lift would be about as high as I would recommend for 35" tires if you're running stock axle width.

Bender said:
That being said I think a true 6.5" of suspension lift would be about as high as I would recommend for 35" tires if you're running stock axle width.

That is what I am running along with BW cutouts and it is a perfect setup. I have a RK 6.5" LA with RRO front BPE (my shocks have internal bumpstops) to limit up travel a little. I have very, very little rubbing on the flares at full stuff. 3" with 35's would be just a waste of time. Like was said before you will have no up travel at all and your fender wells will need to be totally reworked. go with at least a 5.5" lift and a good amount of trimming and you will be better off.

Run what yah brung. The best thing is to put the tires on and see...maybe find a buddy w/said tires and try them on.

I have 4.5"s, I put 33s on, and took the flares off, trimmed VERY LITTLE...like .5"s off the back of the front fender, at the bottom part. It didnt rub on road, unless my wheels were co cked and I hit a dip or a speed bump.

So I trimmed 2"s from the front/back, now I can mucho flex, no rubbing. Im willing to bet that 35s would fit the same as my 33s did when I didnt have it trimmed...

Im hopefully going to try soon. :D

yah my 35 fit just fine with 6.5 inches of lift and a good amount of fender triming and im not even running bump stops at this point. havent had a problem yet. but im gettin the bump stops and moving up to 37 here soon.

then your probably bottoming out your shocks and using them. bumpstops are a must

The End

Back