• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another a/c question....

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
When I first bought my xj the a/c didn't blow cold air. It did blow air though. My heater didn't work and my defrost didn't work. The vent worked though. Anyways, me being the idiot that I am, I ran my a/c anyways with the windows down of course...lol. Now nothing works. My question is how would I troubleshoot this? Could it be the a/c compressor or something? I'm in south texas and I really need to fix this before summer. If it blew air to begin with it shouldn't be too difficult should it? Please, somebody help me

The blowing air really has nothing to do with the AC. I ripped the condenser and hoses out of mine and it still blows. If your AC wasn't blowing cold before, then the compressor almost certainly wasn't even running. When refrigerant goes low in the system, there's a switch that prevents it from coming on. But the same fan is used for heat and AC, so all other functions should work - you just won't get cold air. Running it that way will do no harm to anything.

You need first to do some troubleshooting to pin down the problem.

Does the fan work at all? If not, the fan or its fuse might be bad. Sometimes the fan switch will go bad, too.

Does it work on high speed but not the others? Bad resistors.

If the only breeze you get is from the defrost vents, then you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

The first thing you need to do is get systematic and figure out just what does and does not happen, and when.

by the fan, do you mean the blower? and by the fan switch, are you talking about the a/c panel with the max norm and the rest? i appreciate the help, but i'm a bit confused. right now nothing is working, no signs of life. well...that little mechanism thing on the drivers side under the dash moves whenever you move the a/c switch. Is that a good sign?

Back