• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff fluid question

BORA 18T

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to change my chrysler 8.25 fluid soon. I have the FSM and they say to use 80w-90 gear lube. The ? is if there is an option for a synthetic lube that still conforms to the factory specs and is it worth it? I have a 96 xj with 91000 miles on it. Don't know when the last time the lube was changed so I'm doing it to feel safe. Plus the TC fluid says to use dexron II or ATF plus. Whats the difference between this and the DEXRON III? Is the 3 better? If so and it's synthetic I'll do it as long as synthetic is worth it. Thanks.

do a search

this has been discussed a lot on here.

synthetic gear oil is fine

transfercase takes ATF. dont use synthetic ATF

search if u need more info

Capt Trev,
Yeah me too!

I have used synthetic Dexron III in my T-case for 3 years and 60K miles with no ill efects. Why did you recommend to not use synthetic?

Tom

The warning I've heard against synthetic ATF applies to the AW4 transmission. Some people have reported that it slips and doesn't shift well with synthetic. I hadn't heard of any problems with the Transfer case.

I put amsoil atf in my new to me 99's aw4 today and it shifts much better. I had a 96 and know how it shifted but my 99 didn't shift up as quicky when the skinny pedal was not being pushed hard. In addition there's much discussion as to what fluid to use. I know the owners book says Dexron but dealers say the Chrysler stuff is better and are using it. Amsoil meets most all standards. As for the original question if he reads further it calls for 80-140 synthetic for trailer towing. So he can use synthetic. I used Amsoil 75-90 in both differentials. I used Mobil 1 atf fluid in the transfer case. I have no connection with Amsoil but over the years many people have sworn by it in the various car groups I've been on so I thought I would try it as my xj is at it's 90k maintenance time. I don't g creeking so I don't have any intention of changing it again.

JoBo

I'm sorry..i was in a real rush before--i meant no ATF in the auto tranny! (for slipage reasons)
sorry for any confusion this may have caused!!

Yeah I tried a search but came up with nothing really. Only talking about other stuff. BTW wheres the best place to buy these fluids? anyplace on the net? or locally.

Matthew Currie said:
The warning I've heard against synthetic ATF applies to the AW4 transmission. Some people have reported that it slips and doesn't shift well with synthetic. I hadn't heard of any problems with the Transfer case.

I'll testify to that. I put synthetic in mine, when i first start the engine and put it in gear (drive or reverse) it takes .. 3-7 seconds to engage.. I'll veeery slowly start to creep, and then all of a sudden it chirps the rear end and takes off. If the fluids warm (been running or hot day) it doesnt do it. I've had it in my system maybe 2500 miles, and have new fluid sitting in the garage waiting to go in, when I have time..

Back