• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear d/shaft u-joints from the stealership

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i was at the stealership today getting some stuff and was gonna grab a spicer u-joint while i was there... so as usual my rig is pieced together from several different years so i went with the 99 rear 8.25 axle as a refference this time... i just asked for a simple 1310 rear d/shaft u-joint for a 99 XJ... fisrt off he tried to find the part# of 1310 and tol dme i had given him the wrong part#...... :wstupid: so i explained.. he said he needed my VIN# now... for what?? the XJ used the same u-joint for it's entire life didnt it?? he said his computer showed 2 different parts.... WTF?? :dunno: i said show me both parts and i'll tell him which one was right... he came back with both.. the first one was the one i was looking for.... the second one was something i've never seen before, it had the same size caps as the one i wanted but the cross/trunnion was a full 1/2" wider than the other one and seemed like the machined bearing surface was where it was longer.... and he showed me the part listing and from what i could tell it sure did list 2 parts... from the looks of it the yoke it would fit in would be a full 1/2 to 3/4" across.... so after all that effort i told him to keep both joints because i'm not paying $66 for the right one.. and $95 for the wrong one...

anyone have any idea what that other joint was for??????
is there another XJ driveshaft out there i'm not familiar with??? did he look up GRAND cherokee instead and i didnt catch that?? a friend told me they have those larger joints in their YJ but i didnt get unde theirs or mine to check because its raining.... it's bugging me now... :wierd:

To oversimplify things.. there are two basic cap sizes, and two different cross widths. Small caps, small cross is 1310. Small caps, wide cross is 1330. Large caps, large cross is 1350. Ford used a lot of 1330's, I think YJ's did also, sounds like what you saw.

Working for a dealer, I can say that even if 99.99 percent of a certain vehicle line had the same part, the damn computer will still show the .01% as an option.

Back