• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

triple electric fan setup pics

corbinafly

"Mmmm. More please."
Some have asked for pics of my cooling fan setup.
Perma Cool 10" high performance electric fans (1250 cfm each)http://permacool.com/Catalog/Cat_page16.html .
Flex-a-lite variable speed controller http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/vsc.html

controller
l10108586zk.jpg

fans with brackets made from aluminum angle
l10108514rl.jpg

installed
l10108595ht.jpg

l10108613co.jpg

How many AMPs does that draw? Im running dual Derale fans at 4000cfm and my voltage gauge takes a big hit when they turn on. My next mod will be better alternator, probably 140amp or so.

got pics of that?

MachineMan said:
How many AMPs does that draw? Im running dual Derale fans at 4000cfm and my voltage gauge takes a big hit when they turn on. My next mod will be better alternator, probably 140amp or so.

over2land said:
how long has it been in there?

How's it working so far?

They've been in for about three months so far, and they work great.

trailxj said:
thats pretty slick.

can you run each fan separatly?? like 1 fan, 2 fans, 3 fans?

and how much $$$...

The fans were about $85 each from Summit Racing. The controller was around $78?

You cannot run each fan separately from just one of the controllers, but you can use any type of fan controller you like. Make your own with relays, etc.

MachineMan said:

According to Perma Cool, they pull about 7 amps each. The nice thing about the Flexalite controller is that it has soft start/stop, so when the fans turn on, there isn't that initial large amp draw while they spin up to full speed. Much nicer on the electrical system. And it powers the fans at anywhere from 60% to 100% depending on cooling demand.

over2land said:
got pics of that?

Here's a pic. This set-up requires a lot of trimming to the Derale fan shroud. Also these fans are quite but pull about 20amps each!!! Your triple fan set-up looks like a better solution as long as it has enough cooling.

DualFansDSC00884Small.jpg

Last edited:
MachineMan said:
Here's a pic. This set-up requires a lot of trimming to the Derale fan shroud. Also these fans are quite but pull about 20amps each!!! Your triple fan set-up looks like a better solution as long as it has enough cooling.

DualFansDSC00884Small.jpg

Daddy Like, I Need more MORE MORE

What P/N, how big are the fans? How did you make that killer shroud? Where did you get them? Anymore pics maybe from the bottom?

That setup would great with my new Griffin Radiator.

Dingo

Corbinafly...

Sss-weeeeeeet!

I guess my next questions would be: How much space is there between the edge of the circular metal shrouds and the core of the radiator? I like how those 2.5" fans appear to fit depth-wise, looks like they give you plenty of room to leave original fan-clutch pulley intact. Also, how many core radiator (and what brand) are you running?

Thanks for sharing!

Crawler said:
Corbinafly...

Sss-weeeeeeet!

I guess my next questions would be: How much space is there between the edge of the circular metal shrouds and the core of the radiator? I like how those 2.5" fans appear to fit depth-wise, looks like they give you plenty of room to leave original fan-clutch pulley intact. Also, how many core radiator (and what brand) are you running?

Thanks for sharing!

Crawler,

The way I set up the brackets, there is about 1/4" to 3/8" clearance between the fan shrouds and the GDI 3 row core. And yes, the original pulley is intact. I didn't even need to cut the studs that hold the pulley.
l10108605xf.jpg

I've got a 4.6 stroker so it felt pretty powerful before the conversion, but I noticed a slight increase in rev speed when I slam the throttle in park or neutral. Whether I really feel it or not, there's no arguing the fact that there is less weight for the motor to turn. Anything you do to eliminate parasitic drag will help with power. Maybe not alot, but I will help.

woody431 said:
How is the temperature? idling, wheeling, etc

I have a highflow water pump and a robertshaw high performance 180 degree tstat. I have the fan controller set to turn on at about 180 degrees. I haven't had a chance to take it wheeling with this setup yet (need a new transfer case), but so far the temp hasn't gone over about 190 degrees. I drive with alot of tools and other materials loaded in the jeep along with a friend to my jobs (lot cheaper than driving the GMC 1 ton).

The way the variable speed controller works is that at the set temp, the fans will soft start and ramp up to 60%. Within the next 10 degrees of temp rise, the controller will increase the speed of the fans until they're at 100%. Also, when you shut the engine down, the fans will stay on up to 30 seconds if its hot enough.

I hope this question isn't considered off topic but does anyone know how many cfm is really necessary for a 4.6 stroker that puts out about 260 hp?

I have that same pera cool tripple fan setup in my XJ for 7 years now with a 350 TPI chevy motor. No problems so far. I have 3 seperate switches for my fans and I also have a thermo switch. On start up they can draw upto 28 amps. they are recomended to have a 30 amp fuse. The working load amp rating for one fan is 8.6 amps acording to perma cool. but when the fans are hot it requires more juice. So I tested them when they are hot they can draw upto 15 amps working load not on startup. I would highly recomend this setup to anyone having heat issues. But it does draw some juice 15amps per fans at peak usually less.

So I guess this setup should be plenty for my stroker.

Thanks for the info.

Back