• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxilary Switch Locations

fumble

NAXJA Forum User
I am just looking for pics of where you all have your auxilary switches (Fog/Off Road Lights, Etc). I was trying not to drill holes anywhere and build something, but don't know where. But if I have to drill holes, I will. So pics of where you have your switches in your XJ's, please!!

Thanks,

Dan

I put mine down where the knee board is under the steering wheel. And had to bore a big hole through the metal plate that backs it, but theres a ton of room to run wires back there.

I removed the Sunglass/ garage door opener location in the overhead console.
and did this. I mad it original out of plastic but the weight of the switches proved to be too heavy so now it sags, but im going to the boeing suplus lot tomorrow so maybe i can come back with something better.

808664_14_full.jpg

Dingo

fumble said:
I am just looking for pics of where you all have your auxilary switches (Fog/Off Road Lights, Etc). I was trying not to drill holes anywhere and build something, but don't know where. But if I have to drill holes, I will. So pics of where you have your switches in your XJ's, please!!

Thanks,

Dan
What year XJ? The old style and new style dashboards and consoles are completely different.

Dingo509 said:

Even dismissing the ARB switches, that's a lot of switches! What all are you controlling with the other twelve?

Ejection seats(all 4 on seperat switches), hydro's, emergency parachute deployment, extenda-arms, all the normal inspector gadget stuff. :laugh3:

That looks really nice though, makes me wish I had a overhead console.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Even dismissing the ARB switches, that's a lot of switches! What all are you controlling with the other twelve?

Okay from the back. lefft to right
row 1 Overhead KC's one light per switch (i have my reasons)
row 2 Left alley light, overhead backup lights, driving lights, right alley light
row 3 electric fans, fog lights, blank front, blank rear
row 4 ARB compressor, Front locker, rear locker, OBA

The blank front/rear are just that blank for now but one switch runs to the front under the hood, the other runs to the auxilary fuse/relay block in the rear of the vehicle. the rear one will be for rock lights. The front, well im not sure what im going to use it for yet but im sure i'll think of something.

If you need more pics of the Fuse blocks let me know. I rewired alot of accessories a couple years ago and have done it right, after messing with shorts and bad conections for years. So let me know if you want to see/read about the rest of the wiring, to give you an idea how extensive it is, i have a 22 circuit bulkhead connecter that i added throught the firewall that is almost full, plus the original HO fuseblock caught fire and is now in a Hella fuseblock closer to the firewall, all original relays are still functional.

Dingo

Quadratec has a small plastic console that will fit on the dash, it's made for the TJ change thing thats on the top of TJ dashboards, however it would plop right on top the 97+ dash nicely, I already tried it, some velcro and all set. It's like 6" long, 3" thick and about 3" high in black abs.

I put the fog light and rear back up light switch, DPDT on the shift lever cover. Included indicator lights.
Also enough room for the converter lock up switch, Not in yet.
Elect fan is on the dash panel next to steering wheel. (Direct wired, guarded switch) Lots of room on the dash panel between steering wheel and radio console for several switches. ANd if you pull the steering wheel kick panel, that's the only way to run wires in the XJ. 4 screws and the whole under dash is accessable.
Tranny temp gauge went in behind the T-case shifter. on the center console. Perfect size for a 2 1/4 gauge.
Also put a light switch on the radio/center bezel, but limited room behind there for deep switches.
Will send you some pics if you want.
Off to Gore Va (Big Dogs, Ice Breaker) this weekend, PM me and I;ll send ya some early next week.
The install on the shift cover is really nice.

Derik

Sorry for not having a picture but....

The small "coin holder" location in the center console, thats right in front of the Ebrake is perfect.
I just took a piece of flat 16 ga steel cut it to fit over the holder and still have room to run screws into the console on the four corners.

Then cut the bottom of the coin holder out so i could run my wires and have room for the bottom of the switches.

I only have 4 switches mounted (2 for the front lights 1 for aux fan and one for backup lights) there but you could fit 6 without a problem.

If you need a pic or further instructions just say the word.

For all those wanting to see what i did for wiring you can see it now here

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/808664/4

I will be updating the page as I get a chance with more explination as to what i did and where your looking.

If some of the wires look very unorganized, they are. After the last round of upgrades and experiments i have yet to clean up and reroute the wiring correctly.

If there's any Questions as to how i did something or who made what let me know.

Dingo

Back