• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ 9" rear driveshaft ??

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to the point of only needing brakes, shocks, and driveshafts to get my MJ driving.

I'm using a ford 9" rear and SOA rear suspension. It's an '86 longbed and I;m replacing the 207 t-case with a 231.

With the 207 t-case...which I presume is the same length as the 231.... the rear driveshaft only has about 1" of the slipyoke in the tailhousing...meaning (I think) it's too short.

What have any of you done for a rear driveshaft for this setup short of having to have one made?? Is there a different longer yoke I can use that wil fit the 231 t-case?

043500 said:
I'm about to the point of only needing brakes, shocks, and driveshafts to get my MJ driving.

I'm using a ford 9" rear and SOA rear suspension. It's an '86 longbed and I;m replacing the 207 t-case with a 231.

With the 207 t-case...which I presume is the same length as the 231.... the rear driveshaft only has about 1" of the slipyoke in the tailhousing...meaning (I think) it's too short.

What have any of you done for a rear driveshaft for this setup short of having to have one made?? Is there a different longer yoke I can use that wil fit the 231 t-case?

the YJ yoke is about 1" longer

but why would spend the money on a 9" and then go cheap on the DS?

time to step up to a new DS and SYE.

Because I went cheap on the 9". I bought the 9" rear with matching HP-44 front already with 4.56's AND detroits for only $1200.

I'll try a YJ yoke.

Any other thoughts?

the YJ yoke is not even 1/2" longer, the main advantage is it has a more "open" yoke allowing greater u-joint angles.

get your existing shaft lengthened at a driveshaft shop, or if you have a 4.0/AW4 then the driveshaft from a longbed 4.0/BA10 or AX15 should be about an inch longer.

Back