• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do?

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87xj 4.0,AW4,6.5"lift,longarms,33's,4.56's, dana30/44 locked f/r.
I want to run 36's. I would like to keep it street legal so the way I see it I have two options.

1.) Buy a bare (tj?)hp44 and build it. The tj unit will bolt right in, so all I will have to do to rear is have it regeared to 5.13's

2.)Find full size axles and modifiy them. I would love to say I had the fab skillz to do this ,but I don't. So I would have to have some one cut and re-weld the axles to near stock width,fab bracketry, custom axles,gears, lockers ect..

I geuss even if I keep the axles stock width (hp44/9") I would still be out for the $ for the axles,bracketry,gears,lockers ect..

I like the first Idea because, I already have a 44 w/a full detroit in the xj, so the only thing it would needfor it is gears (5.13's?) and eventually alloys. The second idea would be great but I don't have any fab skillz,and some how I think It would be a ton more $.

I want to do this right the first time, I can't see my self ever going any bigger than 35/36"tires(unless I win the lottery).Realistically a buggy just isn't in the budget for now,however I do want to have a solid, reasonably depedable trail rig. If any one has any comments,suggestions,ideas I would really appreciate your input.

TJs never came with a Dana 44 front, unless you are talking about the Rubis. Those are not true 44s either. I believe that they are 44 centers with slightly smaller axle tubes and dana 30 outers. Im not sure if that is right or not though. That should be a bolt in option if you want to do it, but you are not going to find any Rubis at the local pick n pull. You would have to order it from the dealer, and that would be rather expensive. I know this has been talked about before on here, so search and you will find the thread about it.

If you dont want to fab anything, heres what I would do. Buy the Super 44 kit for both the 30 and 44. Truss the rear, and maybe the front as well. Upgrade your steering to something (search on this) and you should be ok for 36s. Im sure I missed something, but this might get you started.

if you dont pound the throttle too hard when u wheel then just do one piece axle shafts in the front and run the 36's with your dana 44 rear and one piece shaft 30 front with the 297x u joints. thats my set up with 36's and i have not had any problems. I run 4.88's with the renix motor and its just quite not enough, but with a high output 4.0 and 4.88's it would be just fine. you will get away with 4.56's but on the 36's it will be a little sluggish on the 87.

go with an EB D44 the spring perchs line up so you will only have to have UCA and LCA mounts welded on its like 59.5" wide so just 1/2" shorter then stock. its not a HP but it will work.you will need to address the bolt pattern its 5X5.5. I would recomend just upgradeing the rear to match.

first the 44 in Rubis are just a 30 with a 44 center .second why wouldn't you find it in a pick and pull or a junk yard ,what you think people don't have wrecks in them?third the early Bronco 44 would be good it's only 1/2 inch bigger than the 30 you have now,but you can't just have UCA and LCA's welded on.the part that the stock radius arms mount to is cast(as far as i remember) and can't be ground off.you can have it retubed to not have the cast part on it but at that rate you might as well buy a HP and have it cut down.the only 44's i know to not have the cast mount are early F100's and F150's before 1976 or some where along there.at the same time you could use that rear and just use ford radius arms.

Last edited:
Wil Badger said:
second why wouldn't you find it in a pick and pull or a junk yard ,what you think people don't have wrecks in them?

Based on my experience in junkyard adventures here in northern california, finding a rubicon in a yard would be about as common as winning the lottery. I have never EVER seen a single wrangler in a "regular" junkyard. I beleive they are snatched up by the few Jeep only junkyards. And here in NorCal the unnamed Jeep only junkyard wants $850 for an XJ D44. Can you imagine what a rubi axle would cost? I dont know how they do things in Utah, but the point is that in Norcal finding a front rubi 44 in a yard aint gonna happen.

With that said, you will pay upwards of $2000+ for a new rubi 44 front built to your specs. For that kinda cash, it would be silly to not build a real 44. If you are looking for a front 44 that does not require shortening, an EB 44 has been mentioned and dont discount the waggy 44. I think you ought to re-evaluate how much money you are willing to spend and what kind of terrain you often wheel.

good luck
-jm

HTeK said:
Based on my experience in junkyard adventures here in northern california, finding a rubicon in a yard would be about as common as winning the lottery. I have never EVER seen a single wrangler in a "regular" junkyard. I beleive they are snatched up by the few Jeep only junkyards. And here in NorCal the unnamed Jeep only junkyard wants $850 for an XJ D44. Can you imagine what a rubi axle would cost? I dont know how they do things in Utah, but the point is that in Norcal finding a front rubi 44 in a yard aint gonna happen.

good luck
-jm

this is most likely true .but it happens .i have seen Yj's in bone yards.and you are right any junk yard that would have one would have to know what they have and want full price for it.

you could still go the route i went if u dont plan on EVER going bigger then 36's. Then again i said the same thing and im still itching to go dana 60's and 39.5's. If you feel too uncertain about the 36's then just do what i said and run 35's,plus you will have better power on the street and with the 297x and one piece youll be fine on that front for 35's.

Back